Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Issues getting GRBL to load completely

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Dov Rosenberg, May 19, 2024.

1. Dov Rosenberg

Builder

I am getting the following when I start up my Control and try to connect to my plasma machine (JD Garage build). I am running Arduino Uno r3. I had everything running until I started installing a THC. I am connected via USB to the Arduino from my Mac. Before I installed the THC, the GRBL would continue past the last step below and echo out all of my settings but it is not doing that anymore and I cant connect to the machine and move it. Any ideas? The THC is connected to the Z axis only - sitting between the Arduino and the stepper motor driver. I have 5v going into the Arduino. I had also used 5v going into the Vin port on the Arduino but I took that out because it seemed like it was causing the Z axis to move on its own. (I had the Vin configured before I added the THC and it worked fine.

16:47:05] [ connect ] PORT INFO: Port is now open: /dev/tty.usbmodem14101 - Attempting to detect Firmware
    [16:47:05] [ connect ] Checking for firmware on /dev/tty.usbmodem14101
    [16:47:05] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 1 (Autoreset)
    [16:47:06] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 2 (Ctrl+X)
    [16:47:06] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 3 (others that are not supported)
    [16:47:07] [ ] Grbl 1.1h ['$' for help]
    [16:47:09] [ connect ] Firmware Detected: grbl version 1.1h on /dev/tty.usbmodem14101

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

VIN is the other side of the on board regulator so you probably damaged the Arduino. Replace it

3. Dov Rosenberg

Builder

I have had it connected for several months without issue. Would that cause the arduino to not fully load the GRBL?

I disconnected the VIN because my Z Axis kept moving on its own after I added the THC. That stopped the z axis and allowed the USB port to let me connect to Control app. It just wouldn’t finish initializing GRBL

It seemed like when I disconnected the vin the GRBL stopped fully initializing

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If its not in working order it can't boot

Well, then perhaps the Arduino is dead because you aren't powering it anymore? Not really sure without pictures and diagrams how you have it wired up. Are you supplying 5V or VIN? (NOT Both)