Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

is this EMI? lead 1510 early days

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Banjopete, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Banjopete

Banjopete New
    Builder

hello wizards of CNC,

I'm basically at the end of the build portion of my new lead 1510 machine. I've realized now after reading all these great forum posts that I've straddled the worlds of well done!, and you imbecile!, but am mostly on the other side. I bought my mechanical kit from SPAM (boo!, yes I'm aware now) but all the important bits from openbuilds directly (yay!) so I'm running openbuilds steppers, blackbox, xtension limit switches, and soon to be using the interface as well. I did also purchase my 4 wire wires from OB, but did not quite realize the extent of the required wiring so have some home solutions on the wiring front... I've setup in the control to use limit switches for homing, and hard limits. I'm using shielded wire for all the limit switches however my router power cable, and the power for the IOT are running within the drag chain alongside these shielded wires...

Anyways I'm up and running, and have cut pockets, centre hole marked, and surfaced my spoil board as well. I've successfully homed the machine, and confirmed through jogging that the limit switches are working as hard limits as well. I ran the pocket cutting program without problems, and same for the center hole marking (3mm drill with a vbit), but ran into issues with the long surfacing program, and repeated problems at around the same stages. About 3/4 of the way through the surfacing (my cutting area is 1320mm x 730mm) up around 1000mm on the y-axis I was first getting error-9 gcode locked out during alarm or jog state which ended the job right there. I ran the exact gcode once more and air cut the first 3/4 again and ran into the same problem once again at nearly the same location on the table. I truncated my gcode, and finished the surfacing, but still needed to tram my router, which I did, and after reading through the forums a bit I tried disabling the hard limit switches thinking this was a false trigger on the limit switches from EMI. After tramming, I re-ran the surfacing program once more and ran into the same issues at about the same spot again! this time with homing still enabled, and hard limit disabled. I've seen the recommendation to separate the power cords from the drag chain and the low voltage wires but also see lots of people running these clean wire setups and would prefer the same.

One other item of note, I'm getting arcing across the router mount to my dust collection hose which is a new thing for me. I ran a V1engineering cnc for 2 years before this one and never had this issue with static on the hose. I'm definitely getting arcing and I can see it and hear it snap across to the hose clamp band intermittently while the lead machine is running. Could this simple thing be the issue I'm having and not EMI in the limit switches like I initially thought? I have some spliced joints in the shielded wire for my long y-limit switches which I could replace with a full shielded run if needed, or I could try grounding the dustcontrol hose.

Not sure what else could be relevant but I use estlcam for the gcode generation and aside from my own stupid mistakes have never had issues with the code coming out of esltcam.

thanks very much for the time and brain cells

Attached Files:

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If you run the spoilboard job without the router on (tool out so it well above the board) does it still happen? That would tell you if its EMI or perhaps something else like your wires being pulled too tight at that location.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Oh yeah we see dust hoses causing that all the time... Balloon rubbing on your head experiment, but repeated with thousands of dust particles and air molecules rubbing on the hose...

See docs:blackbox:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation]

sharmstr likes this.
  4. Banjopete

Banjopete New
    Builder

Okay thanks to you both, I'll try the grounding idea then first for the dust control hose and see if that solves it. I don't think it's physical wiring faults with tight wires as I've successfully run the jobs all over the work area, although only a few at this point. With the surfacing it's potentially a lot of balloon on head generating emi with all the mdf dust, and lots of time also contributing. If the grounding doesn't solve this hiccup then I'll try a dry run with the router off and see if it makes a difference. Thanks.

sharmstr likes this.
  5. Banjopete

Banjopete New
    Builder

Well I grounded the dust collection hose and was able to surface the entire spoilboard in one shot this time. I used the wizard for the surfacing this time around so as far as testing goes it wasn't like for like but I definitely eliminated the arcing I heard and saw so with any luck this problem is resolved.