Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Is the interface temperature sensitive? Having keypad issue.

Discussion in 'Interfaces' started by BruceD, Feb 21, 2021.

1. BruceD

BruceD New
    Builder

Help, recently got the interface and probe. I have been able to upgrade the firmware, setup the usb stck, connect with wifi, run the probe successfully download a job to the usb stick and load it. But now the keypad/interface seems to have developed a mind of its own. It first ran the x axis to the limit switch. I powered cycled and it then ran the z axis to the limit switch, power cycled and then it ran the y into the limit. Powered down and moved all off the limits and powered up. As soon as I touched the move x right switch it ran to the right and wouldn’t stop so I had to estop it. It acts like the capacitive switches are sticking? It is set up in my garage under the house and it is cold but not below freezing. Could It be sensitive to the cold? I should add that I did have issues with the probe, it had a bad pcb and would dump the power supply as soon as it was connected to the blackbox. Openbuilds was great and quickly sent out a new board and i works fine now. I think I am going to love this interface if I can figure this out. Thanks in advance.

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Peter will be able to answer about temperature sensitivity. But I know based on past posts that the buttons can be pretty picky when calibrating. He even mentioned that he once got some chocolate cupcake on them and it loaded a file on its own. Not exactly your symptom, but its probably worth powering off, spraying come cleaner onto a cloth and wiping the panel. (stolen from this thread: INTERFACE CNC Touch Controller).

Report back after and also let us know what version you upgraded to. Always good to double check this info.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. BruceD

BruceD New
    Builder

Firmware is the latest according to the interface. Keypad appeared clean as a whistle but I cleaned it and am now able to jog and run the probe. Seems overly sensitive if that is the case. I did bring the interface upstairs for an hour and a half so I don’t know if the issue was resolved by the cleaning or it being warmed up to room temperature. Will try it again tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

sharmstr likes this.
  4. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Shouldnt be temps. Holding buttons during power up, can mess with power up calibration.

The presense of any major EMI sources would also be a likely cause. Any VFDs, etc nearby?

#5 Peter Van Der Walt, Feb 21, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  6. Yacenty

Yacenty New
    Builder

Hello
    I also have a problem with the responsiveness of the interface buttons. Often a button located nearby responds. Sometimes they don't react at all for a while. Can it be influenced by the ambient temperature around 10 degrees Celsius? Everything is clean and updated. All cables are shielded.

7. BruceD

BruceD New
    Builder

ALL cables are shielded, no VFD and router isn’t running when it happens. Interface is sitting on bench untouched when it is powered up.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Very unlikely. They are capacitive buttons, see https://www.edn.com/mechanical-butt...ler monitors,capacitance into a digital value.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Thanks for confirming.
    Just as a test, can you connect the USB-C Cable as well to the interface, and connect the other end to an spare phone charger, for example, just see if that makes any difference for you?

10. BruceD

BruceD New
    Builder

I finally got out to look at this again today. Before I did anything I cleaned the keypad with a little glass cleaner. Powered up and tried to zero the probe and the keypad started acting up. I brought the interface upstairs and let it warm up for an hour. Powered it back up and it was still acting up. I connected a usb cable to a charger and powered up and the keys seemed to work better. I zeroed with the probe again and tried running the job which was just two 1/4 inches holes. The job completed fine. Went to load a new job and the keypad is locked up again. I still suspect a temperature issue but if you have any ideas to try I am open to suggestions. I like the interface but it is frustrating the heck out of me.

11. Yacenty

Yacenty New
    Builder

I noticed something interesting today. I improved the distribution of cables in my device and for a moment placed the interface in the immediate vicinity of the controller (BlackBox). Within a few seconds, a message was displayed that the limit switch was turned on, even though the device was not working at that time and no limit switch was active. After a while it went out by itself and the "Homing" mode was started. After moving the interface away from the controller, everything returned to normal. I think this device is very sensitive to any noise or interference.

12. Peter Van Der Walt

If you put in a heated room, just powering off USB-C (no blackbox etc connected) you can test with the Easter egg: Interface Game (High Scores)
    Then repeat same test in the cold
    And also while doing so, different rooms may have different EMI sources - maybe in the house, even in the cold, it works fine, because theres something in the garage creating a lot of EMI? All theories, but some meticolous testing can help you dig down into the theory.

Here's the Touch controller's datasheet: https://www.tontek.com.tw/uploads/product/106/TTP229-LSF_V1.0_EN.pdf for further reading.

It's spec'ed to work from -40degC, to 85degC: And many other customers with cold weather around who do work fine.

upload_2021-3-1_15-2-8.png

What we did see reports of the same about, has in most cases involved a VFD, and in one case a Makita router without an Earth. There are still I think 2 other unsolved instances I know of - but the general consensus (at this time) relate to either EMI, or some other environmental factor preventing your finger from being a parasitic capacitor: See https://www.edn.com/mechanical-buttons-to-capacitive-sensing-a-step-by-step-guide-part-i/#:~:text=Let's see how a typical,controller input pins with traces.&text=The capacitive sensing controller monitors,capacitance into a digital value.

13. BruceD

BruceD New
    Builder

So to recap
    No router running(dewalt 611)
    No vfd
    All wires shielded and earth grounded at blackbox end with the exception of the interface and probe plus cables.
    Initially when I bought the interface and probe, I had a short in the probe plus causing the power supply to dump. Probe board was replaced and Have had no futher issue there.
    Tried powering the interface from usb charger still locked up.

today
    Kept the interface upstairs over night and powered it up this morning off the usb charger and ran the easter egg game multiple times this morning with no issues.
    Brought the interface back downstairs and left it down there in the cold for four hours. Plugged into the usb charger and ran the easter egg with no issues several times over the next hour. So probably not a temp issue.

plugged it back into the blackbox and ran the probe program and it ran ok. Ran one job to drill two 1/4 inch holes and it ran fine. Tried to load another job and it locked up.
    Power cycled the complete machine a couple times and the interface would boot and lockup.
    Unplugged from the blackbox and it would power up and run the easter egg game fine.
    Plugged back into blackbox and it would lock up.

so now wondering if the shorted probe has done something to the blackbox? Your thoughts?

14. Peter Van Der Walt

Thanks, great testing!

Lets try eliminating that too :) do testing where you skip that step.

What is your Limits voltage set to? docs:blackbox:jumper-limitswitchvoltage [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Could try 24v (so the probe and limits doesn't share the 5V line which also powers the Interface) if you do find that it is the probing affecting it.

#14 Peter Van Der Walt, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  15. Yacenty

Yacenty New
    Builder

In my case, grounding the machine structure and GND in the TOOLHEAD BlackBox connector (not used in my machine) helped. Everything works perfectly now. For now ;)

16. Peter Van Der Walt

Glad you found a workaround for your symptoms.

17. BruceD

BruceD New
    Builder

Ok so today I disconnected the probe and ran two small jobs several times and no issues. I then changed the voltage jumper to 24v and ran the same jobs over again several times and no issues. Reattached the probe and ran the probe program and then ran the jobs again and had no issues. So right now I am leaning towards changing the 24v jumper was probably the answer. I probably should have tried running the probe the first time in after thought just to really confirm but I think the 24v is most likely the answer. I had seen the option to change the voltage when I first added the probe but the led’s looked bright enough so I didn’t bother changing it. Maybe the 24v setting should be the default rather than the 5v? Just a thought.

18. BruceD

BruceD New
    Builder

I am giving up on the interface. Haven't used the machine for a year and right back to locking up all the time. I don't get to use the machine very often due to work and just totally frustrated with the constant lockups of the interface. I can run the machine fine from the laptop with no issues. The machine itself and the Blackbox are great products and I would like to say the same for the interface but it has just more of a frustration then an great addition.

19. Peter Van Der Walt

For issues like these, please do contact the store at Support > New Ticket for the best assistance, thanks

20. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

so the room is 10C, is dew condensing? condensation will definitely affect capacitive buttons.