Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Is it possible to mill 1.8" ( 45.72mm ) stock on a lead 1010?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by jda70az, Jan 27, 2021.

1. jda70az

jda70az Well-Known
    Builder

Hello
    I plan on making guitar bodies on my Lead 1010 but now I am not sure if it will work?
    Anyone done this here?
    The stock needs to be 1.75" - 1.800" ( 44.45mm - 45.72mm )

Does anyone know how high the Z axis assembly can go from spoil board that is 1/4" ( 6.32mm) thick?
    or say from Spoil board & Stock = 2.3"

My calculation are 0.5" + 1.8" ( Spoil board + Stock) = 2.3" (58.42mm)
    Stock to bottom of the Z axis C-Beam End Mounts = 3.03" (76.96mm)

I am trying to see if I can actually work with thick stock like a guitar body needs to be
    and what length bits I will need?

Lead-1010-CNC-Machine-v25.jpg

2. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

Why don't you just put the bit that you want to use to cut the part into the spindle, raise the Z axis as high as possible and measure the space that you have? Wouldn't that work or am I missing something?

jda70az and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  3. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Yeah, just test it. Put an appropriate tool in the router (even just a drill bit, for testing purposes) and see how far up the Z axis will travel and how high you can mount the router and still be able to touch the spoilboard. Whatever space you have is what you get.

4. jda70az

jda70az Well-Known
    Builder

Hi.:)

Well that is what I am doing but I tried a bit that is 4" long and there doesn't seem to be enough travel along the Z axis to be able to retract out of the stock.
    Sure I could raise the router but then if I want to use a shorter bit there could be a problem with the bottom of the Z axis assembly hitting the stock.
    And I wouldn't be able to make as deep of pockets. The router I am using is the Bosch Colt and I also have an attachment for a dust vac so I can't raise the router up much. I am using a limit switch.

Ever make a guitar body?

The neck pocket is 5/8" deep. The pickup pockets are 3/4" deep with 2 smaller pockets on the ends of the pickup pockets that are 1 1/4" deep
    The electronics pocket is 1 5/8" deep. and then the body is 1 3/4" thickness and has to be cut out.

I am just trying to figure this all out so I don't crash the machine into the stock or break a bit.

I tested this out in Fusion 360 and the best I could get was 3/4" deep pockets using a 2 1/2" End Mill.
    That wouldn't be enough to cut out the body even if I did 2 sided machining.

No big deal guys I'll figure it out.
    Plus I like talking to you guys. :thumbsup:

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

For the super long stickout bits, we have the High Z Mod for Lead 1010 CNC which also does double duty of stiffening up the machine even for regular work

jda70az likes this.
  6. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Not sure why this isn't working out properly. A bit with 2" protruding below the bottom of the axis should be working perfectly. Without knowing exactly how you have your system configured though it's hard to say where the issue is. I would probably start with a 3 1/4" bit and adjust the router vertically until there was exactly 2" of bit exposed below the bottom plate of the axis.

jda70az likes this.
  7. jda70az

jda70az Well-Known
    Builder

I went ahead and ordered a 3" inch bit.
    As for the router it's just like in that img I posted. The collet nut is level with the bottom C beam end mount.

8. jwill1amf

jwill1amf New
    Builder

How about replacing the 250mm v-slot for 350mm v-slot? Little more work but that would give you at least 2 more inches of workspace.

Just a though!

9. jda70az

jda70az Well-Known
    Builder

Sounds good to me.

10. Netechsys

Netechsys Journeyman
    Builder

High Z mod for it is the best if you want to use longer bits. With my Lead 1515, I have roughly 210mm oz Z travel. With a 1.5” spoiler board.

jda70az likes this.