Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

IoT power bar question

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by StrictlyScale, Jun 20, 2020.

1. StrictlyScale

StrictlyScale Well-Known
    Builder

So i have a Lead 1010 and want to utilize the IoT power bar.

Does this sound correct:
    - e-stop button between the wall and the IoT power bar.
    - NC plugs have the router and the shop vac
    - NO plug has the black box power supply
    - Always on plug has the laptop.**

Sound correct? And the IoT relay wires are wired per the instructions on the black box page.

** Or should the laptop be on another plug from the wall so that the e-stop button doesn’t shut it down?

Thanks, Sean

#1 StrictlyScale, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

A couple of points here. First the IoT system is only good to about 12 Amps. So what you're suggesting may be pulling too much power. The combination you're suggesting may also be pulling too much power for your e-stop. (most are only 10A so please verify). You may need to get two IoT relays to separate your power burdens with the e-stop going on the one to the CNC system. The shop vac doesn't really need an e-stop. The other issue is normally off ports turn on and the normally on port turns off when switched. So plugging your BlackBox into the normally on port which will switch off as soon as the BlackBox activates it is not really a good idea. (Yeah, it'll sink in in a moment)

What I would suggest would be one IoT relay (with the e-stop at the beginning) having the router plugged into one of the normally off ports and the CNC power supply plugged into the always on port and a second IoT relay with the shop vac plugged into a normally off port. The laptop could be plugged into the wall or the always on port in the second IoT relay, it really doesn't matter.

StrictlyScale likes this.
  3. StrictlyScale

StrictlyScale Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks Rick this is very helpful! I will do as you suggest. My second IoT arrived today. When i add the two-lead wire from the IoT to the black box, do i just run the same from the second IoT to the same plug on the black box? Thanks

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

5. StrictlyScale

StrictlyScale Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks Peter, so Router to the toolhead port and the IoT with the vac to the coolant port?
    BDB0474D-361A-4732-97CD-E719B246F74B.jpeg AD191406-45CF-4DC3-BC9A-2CF8E36CFF72.jpeg

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

That's how i'd do it. Nice to be able to control them seperately, should you wish to run one without the other

7. StrictlyScale

StrictlyScale Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks Peter and Rick!