Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

intermittent issues - looking for a common cause

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Richard McWhorter, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Richard McWhorter

Builder

So I am still chasing intermittent issues with my Lead 1010. I was about 1/3 of the way thru a job and the gantry just stopped moving. I paused and played a couple of times to no avail. Did not know what else to do so I killed and then restarted the job. Cut fine for a while and then it started repeating cuts 5 or 6 times. without progressing to the next cut.

I paused the job for 30 seconds to a minute and when I resumed the cut would progress to the next cut. I finished the cut using this pause and go technique.

Two questions:
    1. Is there some kind of log that I can go back to and inspect the gcode to see what was happening here?
    2. When I hit run is the entire file of Gcode sent over to the controller or is a certain amount sent and then periodically refreshed. I am thinking that the system was losing connectivity to the computer and sporadically regaining it
    Anybody have an approach to troubleshooting something like this?

Thanks

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

1) what host application are you using
    2) is it up to date (check where you downloaded it from)
    3) almost all hosts have a Serial log
    4) repeating moves would most likely come out of your CAM. And in turn likely from a bad CAD file with duplicate vectors
    4) pause/resume would not help, probably just coincidence. Pausing for several minutes, neither, don't bother wasting your time like that, good gcode, clean comms and it will run like the wind
    5) intermittent stopping is usually EMI: docs:blackbox:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation]

sharmstr likes this.
  3. Richard McWhorter

Builder

Thanks. I was using Openbuilds control and I had imported the gcode from Easel. So when I see the gcode stream across the view window in controls is that being executed and 'consumed' at that point. Or is it written off to an audit file. The overall operating system is windows. Are you referring to some kind of comms log in windows or in Openbuilds control?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Sure you have no M0s and other Easel specific gcodes in there (used to pause their UI at specific steps) ? Clean it up if you do. No M0 or M6 commands

sharmstr likes this.