Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Interfacing BlackBox Motion Control System (ATmega328p version) with OTK-3 Knife

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mike Traner, Jun 26, 2024.

1. Mike Traner

Builder

Hello all,

There was a previous post on a related topic of interfacing a tangential knife, but I didn't want to zombie-hijack the old thread so I made this post.

I'm trying to figure out if the Stepcraft OTK-3 can be interfaced with the BlackBox Motion Control System (the older ATmega328p version, though we could potentially upgrade if needed). The OTK connects to a D-Sub connector with the below pinout:
    [​IMG]
    I have two primary points of confusion:
    1. The BlackBox unit has a toolhead interfacethat has Gnd, PWM, DIR, and 0-10V connections. I was trying to figure out whether anyone had interfaced something similar. It seems like the OTK Pin 4 Direction can be handled with the BlackBox PWM pin similar to the plotting application, and the OTK Pin 6 can be handled with the 0-10V connection, but I am not clear on what would be connected (if anything) to the OTK pins 5, 12, and 13.
    2. My other concern was that the plotting application (the closest analogue I found) requires flashing "CUSTOM GRBL firmware for 2 Axes + RC Servo" according to the above link, but for the oscillating knife we would still need the ability to raise and lower the knife to make different cuts. I was wondering if anyone had tried modifying the firmware to enable the third axis, or whether a generic GRBL image might be better?
    I've reached out to Stepcraft to inquire what the function / signal type of the confusing pins are, but was hoping to check if anyone had had success with a similar module or approach on the BlackBox or similar hardware (or other insights into the difficulty or ease of integrating such a module).

Thanks for your insights and advice,

Mike

Edited to add Stepcraft link

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Duplicate of ticket 68628. Please continue with the store, it avoids the need for duplicate replies on multiple platforms. Thanks

Mark Carew likes this.