Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Interface touch keeps resetting randomly on idle

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Andre Malenfant, Nov 6, 2022.

1. Andre Malenfant

Builder

I have an issue where the interface randomly resets at Idle. So far, it never occurred while running a job. I tightened he contacts on the connector and check the connection on the blackbox too.

Is there a log file that can be turned on or some method of diagnosing the problem?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The only cause of a reboot would be power (brownout/undervoltage)
    Connected to standard BlackBox and our Meanwell PSU?

3. Andre Malenfant

Builder

Yes, connected to the stock Blackbox and a meanwell PSU.

I will recheck my connections.

4. Andre Malenfant

Builder

This issue is still plaguing me... I seem to not have the issue when power is applied to the USB-C.

I noticed that in test mode, the voltage is displayed. When connected only via the AUX cable, it says USB: 2.12V AUX: 4.67V. I get the same reading with a multimeter on the cable. Is that ok? That seems a little low. I get a solid 5V (a tad above) when connecting a USB-C power source.

Note that I checked all my connections many times and I am reading a solid 24V from my Meanwell PSU.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

4.7v is within spec (5v less voltage drop across the reverse blocking diode)
    We can go down to 4.4v (3.3v rail + 1.1v LDO dropout)

Depending on the Version of your Interface: You can do either of these as a test:

Option 1) You can jumper between 5V AUX and 5V MAIN on the header inside the Interface to bypass the blocking diode to give you another 0.2-0.3v but in stock config it should work (does work fine for everyone else as-is, so this may address the symptom, but the root cause would still be something else)

upload_2022-11-14_8-21-17.png

Option 2) Some versions had a Solder Jumper just below the ESP, called 5V-AUX that connect the 5V rail directly to AUX. Same thing, just maybe easier than a little jumper wire in (a)

upload_2022-11-14_8-21-39.png

Anything else other than the usual connected to the machine (nonstandard endstops, servo, different probes, etc) that could be using the 5V rail more than expected, causing it to buckle under load when the Interface connects to wifi?

Any change you extended the stock 4 pin cable that came with the interface (we've seen that before)?

#5 Peter Van Der Walt, Nov 13, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  6. Andre Malenfant

Builder

Thanks, I will try these options.

There is nothing unusual. The Interface is connected with the stock cable. I tightened the connectors a bit to test, but it was fresh out of the box when the issue started. Other than that, I have a VFD connected on the 0-10V and I use the relay to trigger my dust collection. It is simply used to ground a pulled up GPIO on a ESP8266. So nothing that would draw any significant current other than the motors and the Interface. All stock really.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  7. Peter Van Der Walt

Any relation to the VFD running coinciding with the reboots? (EMI?)

8. Andre Malenfant

Builder

Nope. I would say 99% of the time, the VFD is not even powered up.

It still could be sinking power somehow. I will disconnect it and see if there is a difference in voltage.

9. Andre Malenfant

Builder

Ok, so I measured the voltage at the BB and I get 4.97 ish volts. I get about the same at the other end of the cable.

The solder jumper was already bridged, but I bridged the terminals (mains to aux) as in your option a. I touched up the solder on the aux connector for good measure...

The best I get is 4.71v in test mode, and that's with the wind on my back. When doing an average over multiple resets, I get more in the ball park of 4.68.

Like you say, it should be enough, but...

While writing this message, I heard the Interface reset. Toolhead connector disconnected. Maybe I have a bad one?

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Possible, lets see if support.openbuilds.com > new ticket can help out with that :)

11. Andre Malenfant

Builder

Now it has reset in the middle of a job... even less fun...

12. Daniel Lee 1123

Builder

This just started happening for me as I switched over to the X 32 from the older black box. Going to reinstall the old black box until a solution is given.

13. Peter Van Der Walt

Solution exists in the documentation: Make sure to work through docs.openbuilds.com/interface

14. Daniel Lee 1123

Builder

How does the documentation help when I cant get the interface to start up? It just keeps resetting on startup.

Also I went back to the other black box and it works fine. Tried to update the firmware but it wont update due to server error. Is this currently an issue or is it my connection?

Thanks.

15. Peter Van Der Walt

We prefer you work through the docs chronologically so you don't miss a step, but the important ones highlighted for you with DIRECT links:

1) update your firmware: docs:interface:firmware-update-control [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    2) connect it to the BlackBox: docs:interface:connect-blackbox-x32 [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    3) if its Interface V1.4-V1.6: Install the Jumper: docs:interface:retrofit-x32 [OpenBuilds Documentation] (linked from the tip section of the Connecting page in (2) above)

Then it was quite outdated already, needs an update via CONTROL to catch up (As mentioned in docs:interface:firmware-update [OpenBuilds Documentation])

16. Daniel Lee 1123

Builder

nvm. I used the USB option to update. Ill try the X32 again.

17. Daniel Lee 1123

Builder

Nope. Still resets.

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Did you follow all the steps I outlined, or only the firmware update?

19. Daniel Lee 1123

Builder

ok i placed the jumper inside. there was already a 2 prong one inside. I swapped them out. Now it starts but no button response from the interface? I think ill just use my old setup and return this one. Not worth the hassle.

20. Peter Van Der Walt

Or, rather just make use of your warranty, contact the store via Support > New Ticket
    We of course had to make sure you followed the standard setup first - as that should work - if it does not well then we can escalate and get a new Interface out to you (if you have warranty remaining)

21. Daniel Lee 1123

Builder

Thanks, I appreciate the help. Everything is in order but no luck. Ill contact support.
    Dan

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  22. Peter Van Der Walt

Thanks for bearing with us, gotta do the setup first, to see. Retrofitting older ones can be a little hit or miss (they were out long before we envisioned the X32) :)
    Store should be able to sort you out though. Have a good one!

23. Daniel Lee 1123

Builder

HI peter. Im still having issues. the new interface i got yesterday is set up per instructions but wont move the gantry.(Same as old interface- Just hums and blinks) the X32 had a micro SD card. Whats that for? dont see anything in setup for the x32 other than what shows when you scan the QR code.

I emailed support so apologies if this is redundant.

24. Peter Van Der Walt

:) yeah forum and support team have some of the same team members. Basic rule of thumb - forum is for basic questions, builds, fun - and the store is for warranties, shipping, orders, that kind of questions

SD Card: You can upload gcode files to the SD over Wifi using the Web Interface. Remember to read the grblHAL docs too to learn more about its features and how to use them
    Nothing major - not something you'll really use often as Interface does more than that for you already - and CONTROL is way easier :) - but you have a free SD if you ever want to try it out

Hum and Blink... Does the Machine work from CONTROL / PC? If not, check your Grbl Settings, making sure $4=0 (If moving settings from an old controller to a new one, use Backup Settings > Restore settings in CONTROL as it makes needed changes along the way)

25. Daniel Lee 1123

Builder

Does not work with pc either.

26. Daniel Lee 1123

Builder

Where do I find this? Im not as savvy in this department

27. Peter Van Der Walt

OpenBuildsCONTROL > Grbl Settings tab > $4 Enable Invert > Set to Disabled (0) for the X32

Didn't you do the setup?
    1) Plug in old Blackbox (just USB is fine)
    2) Run CONTROL > Grbl settings tab > Backup Settings

3) Plug in new one
    4) Run CONTROL > Grbl Settings tab > Restore Settings > Save > Reset

This will transfer the old settings to the new one, and change all settings that needs to change along the way

Test it using CONTROL first, then go back to the Interface (CONTROL makes troubleshooting easier with logs and wizards and a detailed settings screen etc)

28. Daniel Lee 1123

Builder

no i setup the settings in control on the x32 for lead 1515. motors work now. Had to adjust x as it was red. now everything works except my limit switches. ??

29. Daniel Lee 1123

Builder

ignore that. I see it all now. I didnt get that the control had to be plugged in to get all these setting updated.

30. Peter Van Der Walt

You can use the Interface but make sure to use a new version of CONTROL to Prep the USB drive as per the Interface Docs so you have the X32 profiles on the USB drive: see docs:interface:prepare-usb-drive [OpenBuilds Documentation]