Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Interface not turning on without being hooked up to a computer

Discussion in 'Interfaces' started by David Fong, Sep 18, 2021.

1. David Fong

Builder

Hello,

I think I might of overlooked something and need some help. I got my new Interface today! It looks great and from what little I did use of it, I like it a lot. I followed all the instructions, I have a 2.5 board, so I had to take out the transister, hook up the 6 pin interface and Aux 1. When I did this I powered everything on and the black box powered up and it works with the computer but the Interface will not power up.
    I then hooked up the USB cable to the Interface and my laptop and the Interface powered up and worked. I even got the Wifi going. But if I unplug the USB cord to the laptop, the Interface powers off immediately.

Can you tell me what I might try to get the interface working without the USB hooked up to it?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

See if your BlackBox Outputs 5V between the 5V and GND pins with USB cable disconnected? If not, could indicate a blown 5V regulator on your BlackBox, which is usually related to some historic short circuit between V+ and GND - which in turn usually can be traced back to incorrectly wired limit switches, docs.openbuilds.com has warnings against the relevant faults on the relevant pages.

3. David Fong

Builder

It dies read 5v. You are talking about the 5v pin on the Aux correct? Image attached.

Attached Files:

4. David Fong

Builder

I meant it "Does"

5. Peter Van Der Walt

But I see a USB cable in the photo :) - was the other end unplugged?

6. David Fong

Builder

Correct the other side is not plugged in. I just unplugged it at the BlackBox side as well and I still get 5v.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  7. David Fong

Builder

I borrowed my friends black box, his is firmware 2.7 and the same thing happens. I get 5v when the USB is not plugged in on his as well. Either I am doing something wrong or the Interface may be bad? Not sure.

Attached Files:

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Ok that's great then :) was just double checking, as seeing the USB cable, made me think it might also be getting 5V off the USB (thus measuring good, but still having a dead 5V regulator). So great, BlackBox is good and delivering 5V. The Interface powers up over USB too so we know its fine.

So all that remains is the cable in between. As you have a multimeter there, would you mind checking each of the 4 wires for continuity? Also check that the factory didnt swop any by mistake. If you are lucky maybe just one of the pins dislodged from the housing :)

9. David Fong

Builder

OK, you are absolutely correct!!! The red wire is bad. I can see that the wires on both sides of the pins is connected but there is no continuity between them. That wire is bad for sure. Are you able to send me a new one or can you contact someone in support to contact me? My order number is 143220.

I am glad it wasn't anything I did! I was worried about that transistor thing. Hopefully this will work after I get a new cable.

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Seperate teams, so please log ticket with the Store via https://support.openbuilds.com and include a brief writeup that you need a new cable, but also include link to this thread so they can see the Troubleshooting has already been done and they will get a replacement out to you asap :) thanks for sticking with it :)