Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Interface not connecting

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Larry LaBonte, Jan 20, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry LaBonte

Peter. upon trying to use OB probe. It did not work so I followed the article on "probe" not working followed the directions and succeeded in wiping everything out, the interface only wants to play a game with or without computer being plugged in. Open builds program does not work anymore. Any ideas?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

What exactly did you do? We can only help if we know exactly - step by step - what happened

3. Larry LaBonte

Following the article "probe not working" wiped out something. And I assume if it happened to me it most assuredly has happened to others, so you could explain a work around. Not everything that goes wrong is operator failure.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

You'd have to link the article if you want us to check it out. Though in general, be careful of third party info, we have official documentation at docs.openbuilds.com that we stand by

Note I was asking what happened, as both the first post and this reply has been vague on details - making it hard to give you any proper info.

David the swarfer likes this.
  5. Larry LaBonte

So you will know, I followed the instructions that are part of the documentation. From following that I did an update on the BB32. From that point on both interface and black box stop working. The interface has lost it will not connect anymore. After rolling back the BB 32, it started working again with errors on 3 out 4 motors. I started with Z and disconnected it checked and found no reason. After shutting off and back on no problems with BB. Interface will not connect, can not have usb connected so I have no way to update thE INTERFACE.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Can you clarify this section? Did you not yet update the Interface Firmware? It should be on V1.57 to work with the X32

1) Plug USB A-B Cable into BlackBox: Update to latest firmware (you mention "rolled back" not sure if you mean you did complete the update succesfully, or "rolled back" to an older firmware)
    2) Put BlackBox aside
    3) Now plug USB-C Cable into Interface: Update to firmware V1.57
    4) Set Interface aside
    5) Test BlackBox using computer and CONTROL make sure it all works well
    6) Unplug USB Cable from BlackBox (BlackBox can only connect to PC "OR" Interface not both. Presence of USB cable tells it whether to be in USB mode or Interface mode)
    7) Plug in the Interface into the AUX port on the BlackBox and power up the BlackBox
    8) It should connect.

7. Larry LaBonte

As I said the interface will not connect to BB, I need to use a computer to access, but even then, I cannot get it to update at all. Other than that, I have left BB32 on for at least 6 hours, the fan has yet to come on. And the box will not pass on any commands. I rolled back the firmware to the saved backup. Now I was told by CS that it wasn't useable anymore, different people give different advice and write contrary articles. It does not connect!

I have everything working I took the interface that I was sending back and it will work with this BB32. Now that is until I turn it back on in the morning, if so I will back grade to the bb4, had no problems with it. Thanks again for your help Peter :)

#7 Larry LaBonte, Jan 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  8. Peter Van Der Walt

and
    You cannot update the Interface VIA the BlackBox. It's not COMPUTER > BlackBox > Interface :)

Connect a USB cable to the Interface (Computer to Interface - no BlackBox in sight for this operation)

Its not a temperature controlled fan - its always on. If its not spinning, take the top cover off and see if the fan blades are maybe rubbing on the top cover - can happen if the case top is screwed down a little tight causing it to bow. Testing the fan with it removed from the case panel will help you check if you need a replacement fan (can contact store for that once we have it all confirmed). The non working fan would explain your earlier overheating alarms on the drivers.

The firmware, or your last Grbl Settings.

Did you ever complete the BlackBox X32s FIRMWARE update ( i.e THIS step: docs:blackbox-x32:firmware [OpenBuilds Documentation])

As we don't provide a firmware backup tool I have a feeling you are confusing the two terms. We only provide a Grbl Settings backup tool. Settings and Firmware = different things

Take it slow and step by step as advised, tick off the required steps in order:

Don't skip forward, lets work your problem and carefully ensure you complete all the steps needed one by one

0) Test the BlackBox fan - most likely just stuck on the top cover - investigate and loosen screws if thats the case (see docs:blackbox-4x:assemblyinstructions [OpenBuilds Documentation] - older version's docs from when BlackBox was still a Kit but fan is still installed the same way)

1) Plug USB A-B Cable into BlackBox: Update the BlackBox to the latest firmware

Don't know how to update BlackBox Firmware? See docs:blackbox-x32:firmware [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    Pretty sure you know where the BlackBox's USB is, but if not - see 2(a) of docs:blackbox-x32:layout [OpenBuilds Documentation]

2) Put BlackBox aside

3) Now plug USB-C Cable from Computer > into Interface: Update to firmware V1.57

Don't know where the USB-C socket on the Interface is? See 1(a) of docs:interface:layout [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    Don't know how to update Interface from CONTROL? See docs:interface:firmware-update-control [OpenBuilds Documentation]

4) Set Interface aside

5) Test BlackBox using computer and CONTROL make sure it all works well

6) Unplug USB Cable from BlackBox (BlackBox can only connect to PC "OR" Interface not both. Presence of USB cable tells it whether to be in USB mode or Interface mode)

Don't know about the USB cable and Aux Mode - see docs:blackbox-x32:aux-serial [OpenBuilds Documentation] for an in depth explanation of why the USB cable determines if Interface is allowes connection or not​

7) Plug in the Interface into the AUX port on the BlackBox and power up the BlackBox

8) It should connect.

Did you get your Hard Limits issue from the other thread (EMI related) sorted out yet? If not: Lets add it to the list:

9) Replace old Micro Limits that came with C-Beam kit - with the new filtered Xtension Limits Xtension Limit Switch Kit and wired with all three wires as shown in docs:blackbox-x32:connect-xtension-limit [OpenBuilds Documentation]

#8 Peter Van Der Walt, Jan 23, 2023
  9. Larry LaBonte

Okay, I guess I rolled back g-code? Anyway it started working a bit more when I did that. I will go through the entire message step by step later this eve. I updated the firmware I think but I'm not sure now. Looking at I followed that already docs:blackbox-x32:firmware [OpenBuilds Documentati) on to next step. I took cover off checked the fan for movement it was free moving after loosening and retightening going now. turned on and got two motors down. did nothing more than shut down and back on! each time i shut down there is a different motor error on startup.. I have checked each one twice or more or more, never is it repeating the same error. As I sit here replying to you the FAN quit, after restarted it started again, I honestly have put as much time as I have into trouble shooting errors.

I want to thank you for your time spent on this Peter, and wish continued success in your venture.

but I have had enough, in morning i am changing back to bb 4, if doesn't work I guess I will be looking for a different brand of controller.

#9 Larry LaBonte, Jan 23, 2023
  10. Larry LaBonte

Just as I suspected, the BB 4 accepted everything as it was. Made no change except adding ferrite cores to the limit switches. Interface works fine with the BB4. And once again I must say thank you for spending as much time as you did on the BB32 problems with me. But with the BB4 I have no problems at all.

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Because its been already set up.

You did skip a couple X32 setup steps, not quite a fair comparison. Got to update the old interface to know about the X32 that came along months or years afterwards. Got to update X32 as newer firmware comes along often. Standard maintenance.
    The stuck or damaged fan would have been addressed, but we needed to get through the testing in case anything else needed replacement.

Those update steps takes a total of 4 minutes to complete. Swopping back to the 4X almost took more effort.

Either way, closing this thread - if you need anything else from here forth, head over to support.openbuilds.com > new ticket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.