Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Interface mount causing magnetic interference

Discussion in 'Interfaces' started by Steven Hickerson, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Steven Hickerson

Builder

Hello,
    So, while searching I've seen a couple of other posts about this, but never with any conclusion. So, I wanted to check and see if anyone ever found a resolution to the problem.

I've got a black box (original, not the new one) controlling my CNC with a 1.5Kw spindle, and an Interface controller hooked up to it. I've had this set up for over a year now with no problems. I've had the little magnetic mount kit for that entire time, and just never got around to actually installing it. Before now, I've always just laid the interface in front of the CNC. Sometimes I've used it holding it in my hand, sometimes just laying on the wood surface that my CNC sits on.

I finally got around to mounting the mount a couple of days ago. It's mounted on a piece of wood that is pretty far isolated from any of the metal of the CNC. The VFD is also pretty far away from the blackbox, and isolated by wood also. Everything is also fully earth grounded. The problems I'm seeing happen even when all power is cut to the VFD. I spell this out because I've pretty much ruled out any sort of EMI already which always seems to be what is suggested as the problem.

But the problem is 100% repeatable by one simple thing, a magnet. If I go into a menu and press the cancel button on the Interface while it is in close proximity to a magnet, everything goes haywire. The interface will stop responding and random commands seem to get sent to the black box as if I'm pressing buttons on the Interface. As soon as I take it away from the magnet, the weirdness immediately stops.

I don't know enough about the internals of the interface, but seems to me either the magnet is somehow causing a short in the capacitive buttons, or it's interfering with the processing of what I assume is some sort of microcontroller inside of it.

Given that it's been a long time since I actually purchased the interface and the mount, I don't know if support will be of any help. Also, given that not every single person using the magnetic mount experiences this issue, I've got to assume it's some kind of manufacturing defect or something that allows the interference to happen. But, I doubt I'm withing my exchange period at this point lol.

Anyone else have this happen and find a solution? I mean, one obvious solution is to not use the magnetic mount, but it would be pretty convenient to finally have this interface mounted lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

We use the magnetic mounts all the time - no issues

VFD/Spindle would be a EMI source though, I suggest you start there: docs:blackbox-4x:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation] - I know you are reporting it to not be related, but it is sadly the main difference from our usual machines

Also make sure you are on Firmware V1.57

3. Steven Hickerson

Builder

VFD/Spindle would be an EMI source when absolutely all power is cut off going to it? Cause as I said, this happens even in that situation.
    Also, just the fact that this has worked for over a year with zero occurrences of a problem, and happens immediately and 100% reproducible upon contact with a magnet, you still say it's EMI from a powerless VFD? Absolutely nothing else has changed except for a magnet being in proximity to the interface. If I lay the Interface back in front of the machine where it used to sit before, zero issues. Wires and everything in the exact same places.

I understand that it hasn't happened to you guys, but I have seen other posts reporting similar issues. Is it not possible there is some kind of manufacturing defect that prevents a component from being shielded fully that the magnetic field interacts with?

4. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

I'm not saying it's not happening, but a simple magnetic field would require movement in order to induce a current. Stationary magnets shouldn't theoretically do anything at all.

Does it happen when you press any other buttons? Does it happen if you unscrew the magnetic mount from the wooden frame but use the Interface in the exact same location? Seems to be an interesting edge case.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. John Dortch

Builder

6. John Dortch

Builder

I too am having the same problem, I also first considered the magnet. The Interface works fine as long as I hold it in my hand. I also works on the magnetic mount as long as i keep my fingers under the bottom of the Interface. if I start a move on the X axis with my hand under the Interface, it also moves fine,However, if I remove my hand while the move is continuing, it immediately begins acting weird but straightens as soon as i replace my hand. I have ferrites in the interface cable and on the VFD control line. the problem remains whether the VFD is on or off. Sometimes if i let the condition persist, the Interface seems to lockup and if a move is in progress, the BlackBox X32 must be switched off to prevent a crash. The spindle is grounded as per code and separately shielded, open at spindle. if I connect my Windows surface tablet to the X32 and attach it to the magnetic mount, it works fine with no problems. At present, i am at a loss...

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks,
    John Dortch

7. Peter Van Der Walt

See my earlier reply, exact same situation. Interface mount causing magnetic interference

Finding and addressing the source of intererence is key. Your body acting as a grounding conductor conducts away some of the interference when holding it. But the levels of interference are above normal in the first place. Look around for the source

David the swarfer likes this.
  8. John Dortch

Builder

Thanks for your reply,
    I tried all the fixes list above, but to no joy. However, what worked, was to connect the PSU Ground to one of the X32's plated mounting holes... All is good.
    Granted my PSU and X32 are next to each other, so the wire (clip lead) is short. PSU is a NVVV LRS350-24.
    Thanks,

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Note that would be a workaround. The real problem might be bad AC Earth to DC GND coupling somewhere else. Always better to locate the root source. Interface has an internal GND on the 4-pin connector, so something in your environment is still abormal, the workaround hiding one symptom, but other issues are likely to follow in time

10. John Dortch

Builder

I tried using my bench supply as well as another 24V. using ether one also fixed the problem with out the ground to the X32. It even works with The VFD powered on and running the spindle! The PSU I had is not a Meanwell but has the same form factor. It seems It also has a substantial amount of RFI according to my scope and my ham radio which gets trashed out. Anyway all is good and I have made several carves and a couple if inlays, all without problems. Many Thanks to all...

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  11. Peter Van Der Walt

Now you see why we insist on the Meanwells we supply :)