Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Interface GOTO command can't be canceled

Discussion in 'Interfaces' started by Lawrence Lemieux, Apr 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawrence Lemieux

Builder

Once I hit the GOTO command, there's no stopping it. I've broken bits because the Z axis drops down too low and I have no way to stop the command. For one reason or another, I can't always assume that the GOTO settings I last used have remained the same.
    It would be great if the cancel command worked while the GOTO command is activated.
    Cheers
    L

allcode likes this.
  2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Thanks for the report, logged for future firmware update

3. Lawrence Lemieux

Builder

Hi Peter,
    Has there been a firmware update that includes my above suggestion?
    Another feature I wish the interface had is this- When I pause in the middle of a cut, it would nice to be able to raise the z axis for a tool change or fix something, and then be able to continue. Needless to say, If I changed the bit, I'll have to be able to rezero the z axis.
    Is it possible to have the coordinates of where the cut was stopped to be saved in a memory somewhere so I could return to that spot to continue?
    Cheers
    Lawrence

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Thanks for the suggestions!

Grbl does not accept moves during a pause - for good reason - it can crash (user intervention takes it away from where it thinks it is, can change modals accidentally, etc).
    But look into compiling in Door and Park modes - refer to github.com/gnea/grbl - Parking will lift the Z up when you open the "door" to your enclosure

No rezeroing mid job though - it is just unsafe.

Same for saving job positions etc - GCODE is a conversation. Automatic restarting is almost impossible - as you need all the modals, all the lead up to that point too. Cannot just start at a random line. Try it sometime, the crashes are spectacular (;

#4 Peter Van Der Walt, Nov 14, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    David the swarfer likes this.
  5. Lawrence Lemieux

Builder

Thanks for the quick reply. (as usual)
    I've worked around a mid cut crash by going back into Fusion 360 and re-defining my boundary to where it stopped. That worked out well, but tedious.
    However, has any work been done on my first suggestion, putting a cancel command in while the GOTO command is activated.
    Cheers
    Lawrence

6. Peter Van Der Walt

It is still on the todo list.

7. Lawrence Lemieux

Builder

Hi Peter, Have you been able to do the firmware update regarding having the cancel button working while using GOTO? Once again I've ruined a bit. For some reason my machine stopped halfway through the cut.
    I hit GOTO and it just crashed into the table. Had I been able to cancel it, it would have saved the day.
    Keep up the good work.
    Cheers
    Lawrence

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Not yet. But the key thing here is GOTO 'should' never crash the bits, if you SETZERO correctly.
    If that results in a crash, you have a different issue to solve (missed steps, slipping couplers, stretched belt (if applicable) etc

After an uncontrolled stop, one would HOME first, to re-establish coordinate systems - operator error to hit GOTO in such a scenario

9. Lawrence Lemieux

Builder

"If that results in a crash, you have a different issue to solve (missed steps, slipping couplers, stretched belt (if applicable) etc"
    Exactly, that's why we need to be able cancel the GOTO move.

10. Lawrence Lemieux

Builder

We don't always realize something has gotten out of order that will affect the GOTO position.

11. Peter Van Der Walt

12. Lawrence Lemieux

Builder

When I hit GOTO, I'm holding the interface in my hand. I can immediately see if it's working correctly. If not, I could quickly cancel the command.
    The time it would take me to hit a E-Stop,it might be too late. I' ot always standing right beside it.
    Why is so difficult to add it to the interface?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.