Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

INTERFACE CNC Touch Controller

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by OpenBuilds, Dec 15, 2020.

1. pilotjunky

Builder

Has anyone got the INTERFACE device to work with XPro v4 board?

Got it working on my Blackbox v2.5 with the mod as instructed. I’ve update the firmware... all good. What’s the trick to getting the Interface device working with XPro v4? Anyone had success... it just seems to keep rebooting when connected to v5, GND, Tx and Rx in the XPro v4. Thanks Rich.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Project Maker Builder Resident Builder

5V regulator on xPro may be insufficient, try powering Interface off USB-C as well (spare old phone charger, and included USB-C Power cable)

3. Jeremy McGlade

Builder

Try powering it through the USB C port with a computer or a portable usb battery pack.

Jerosario and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  4. pilotjunky

Builder

I think the power supply issue is resolved per the suggestions... but I cannot seem to consistently get the RX/TX to work... I have had it working but now it won't connect to GRBL... Using the two pins highlighted below on the board. I have tried all the simple "restart" debugging no luck. It's 100% consistently working with OpenBuilds Control.... appreciate any debug suggestions (aside from buy a BlackBox :) )

upload_2021-1-31_18-32-52.png

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Only those two? You need three: GND to reference the RX TX voltages against :)

6. mytechno3d

mytechno3d Veteran
    Builder

If you want to make some tests with your interface and your blackbox this little bracket can help you.
    IMG_20210130_164227.jpg
    I will add stl file this afternoon

Ariel Yahni likes this.
  7. pilotjunky

Builder

No, I've also put the 5v through it... something is missing here and I can't figure it out... can't get GRBL communication... must be a trick to getting that header to work which then allows serial data to flow.

upload_2021-2-1_9-51-49.png

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Maybe the switch on the right near the USB port?

9. pilotjunky

Builder

xPro v4 with INTERFACE - I got this working and thought I'd report back to the community on how. Mike from Spark Concepts helped me out.

1.) Jumper CTS (UART) to the Digital Ground pin next to it. (Mike wrote: For the external RX and TX signal, you will need to pull the CS pin low on that header - the easiest way to do that is to jumper pins 8 and 10 on the shrouded header..These are the two rear pins, closest to the GRBL logo on the board)
    2.) Digital +5v pin to the INTERFACE 5v pin
    3.) Rx (UART) pin to the Tx pin on the INTERFACE (Remember it's Rx to Tx because the natural instinct for the layman is Rx to Rx which is incorrect!)
    4.) Tx (UART) pin to the Rx pin on the INTERFACE (Remember it's Tx to Rx, because the natural instinct for the layman is Tx to Tx which is incorrect!)
    5.) Connect Ground a pin from xPro to INTERFACE Ground.
    5.) Flip the Little switch beside the USB port to get 5V to the board without USB.
    6.) Use supplied USB-C Power cable to external 5V source such as Laptop USB, or Battery, or Plug to power the INTERFACE because there isn't enough from the xPro v4 alone.

upload_2021-2-2_7-23-22.png

Peter Van Der Walt and sharmstr like this.
  10. TommyTT

TommyTT New
    Builder

image.jpg Hi there I wondering if anybody knows how to fix this issue my interface will not connect or let me set it up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

11. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Are you trying to connect to the blackbox or a computer? If a BB then make sure the USB is unplugged from the BB. If to a computer, make sure to use a usb data cable. The usb cable provided with the Interface is power only. Also refer to the documentation. Has everything you need to know: docs:interface:start [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  12. fathmi

fathmi New
    Builder

Where can I find the direction to use pass-through (If I am understanding the meaning of pass-though correctly to transfer a job directly from a PC to Interface, without a usb?) , since I can't find it in the documentations ?

13. pilotjunky

Builder

I've been playing with the INTERFACE a fair bit today to try and develop a workflow for myself and an understanding of it's capability. I'm just a user, but I'll give you my learnings in hopes of helping.

To get a file to the INTERFACE you can connect to INTERFACE from a Web Browser and do an upload. http://192.168.86.51 would be an example URL. This assumes you've set up WiFi on the device of course. It's the only way I can see to "transfer a job directly from a PC to INTERFACE without a USB"

The "pass-through" functionality essentially means you plug your laptop into the INTERFACE via a USB-C cable and INTERFACE acts as the connection to your Blackbox or GRBL Controller since it's plugged in via it's own cable.. You'll have a new COM Port to choose in OpenBuild Control. The flow is PC --> INTERFACE --> Blackbox. You start up OpenBuilds Control and can load a file per normal. It turns the INTERFACE into a pendant. Remember, the USB-C cable supplied is ONLY a power cable. You'll need a USB-C data cable to make it work.

I ran a couple small jobs today with just the INTERFACE plugged in. It works as advertised, but it takes some getting used to. Don't give up.

Rich.

sharmstr and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  14. fathmi

fathmi New
    Builder

Thank. Have you or anyone tried 'over the internet' file transfer to INTERFACE so far? @Peter Van Der Walt Is it something we can do? If so, please suggest.

15. Peter Van Der Walt

Not the internet, but over the local LAN yes

1) Follow docs:interface:wifi-setup [OpenBuilds Documentation] to get Interface on to your network

2) On the LCD it shows the IP address

upload_2021-2-4_15-9-14.png

3) Type that into a web browser and use the big "Upload a GCODE file" button to select the file you want to send. Depending on the file size, walking over and fetching the USB drive may be faster

upload_2021-2-4_15-10-9.png

fathmi and sharmstr like this.
  16. fathmi

fathmi New
    Builder

I will definitely try this.. Thanks for the instruction.

17. ADW_01

ADW_01 New
    Builder

Just putting this out there and maybe save some people trouble. I have a 2.2kw air cooled spindle and VFD running at 220v, Black Box and Interface. The amount of EMI was through the roof. Once the spindle got past 6k rpms interface would not respond, same thing when connected via laptop to the BB. I purchased 20 feet of “VFD cable” from McMaster-Carr. I used 18 as the amp rating is still within my setup specs, going to 16 gauge makes for a thick cable to try to router through the Lead1010. You have to connect ground wire at the spindle and you must connect the ground wire together WITH the braided metal shielding of the cable to the ground screw on the VFD. I also used 5 feet of vfd cable as the power cable to power on the VFD, also grounding the metal braiding together with ground at the vfd. I purchased a relatively cheap metal enclosure for the VFD on Amazon and a big plastic enclosure for the power supply, BB, contactor breaker and power switch. I used a simple shielded cable(used in video surveillance) for BB to VFD signal cable. I put two ferrite chokes on each side of the Interfce cable and bought a shielded usb cable. It now works great! No more EMI. You have to use quality shielded cables or your spindle bearings won’t last.

Only issue now is my Interface and the usb port. Seems like I have to wiggle the thumb drive around to get it to detect it.

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Sometimes the socket pins for the USB are a little shy and not adding enough force to all the pins on the flash drive.
    Try a different drive, or slightly squeeze the flash drive metal portion to add a little concave to the bottom as shown in the picture, to make the fit a little tighter.
    We are in process of moving forward with new sockets in the future.

upload_2021-2-4_16-17-39.png

ADW_01 and sharmstr like this.
  19. JSuster

JSuster New
    Builder

Peter, you may say that this is a horrible idea, but i had a thought for uploading files over LAN. Could there be a way to keep the interface powered but asleep and on the network with screen and lights off to allow for uploading files at any time? My shop is 100 feet away from my house so if i could shoot files over to the machine to have available when i get to the shop without dragging the laptop out there; I don't want to have to keep the blackbox powered on with the steppers, etc all the time. This obviously would require utilizing the usb-c port to power the interface, just have a sleep mode where screen and LEDs are disabled.

Again, might be a stretch, but wanted to the the thought out there.

20. pilotjunky

Builder

I use a WEMO type device for that purpose. Plug the INTERFACE USB-C into the WEMO and turn it on to upload remotely then upload, then turn it off. The GCode lands on the USB Stick in the INTERFACE.

[​IMG]

sharmstr likes this.
  21. sitoru

sitoru New
    Builder

how long should it take to update the firmware, im using the latest openbuilds and it's just stuck on please wait. using the correct cable. where can download 2.75, see if that makes a difference. still on firmware 1.41

#411 sitoru, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  22. JSuster

JSuster New
    Builder

How long should what take exactly? Please provide more details of your issue.

23. JSuster

JSuster New
    Builder

Perfect, I wasn't aware it would show up on the LAN if it didn't fully boot. I think this should work!

24. pilotjunky

Builder

I think I see what you are doing... I do fire the entire xPro v4 and the INTERFACE up via the WEMO so in effect the entire thing does boot.

I just tested the use case of only powering the INTERFACE without GRBL and while you can indeed connect, it comes up with the following which seems to prevent an upload. It appears it does need to see GRBL for this to work currently.

upload_2021-2-4_17-54-35.png

25. JSuster

JSuster New
    Builder

You went one step further than me, I was able to connect and saw the upload button so i thought it was good. Looks like the whole system will need to boot up to upload files.

To avoid having to use the WiFi outlet every time, it would be nice to allow file uploads during the initial start-up.

26. Peter Van Der Walt

If its powered by USB, you can turn off the BB, and it will indeed still be on the network. Go for it. Already should be able to

27. JSuster

JSuster New
    Builder

Agree, but I am not a fan of leaving the screen and LEDs on 24/7. So I s wondering about a "sleep" mode where those could turn off but keep it online.

28. fathmi

fathmi New
    Builder

@Peter Van Der Walt This is all I've got while trying to connect to INTERFACE remotely within the same WIFI network. What I am doing wrong? The interface is powered on and running...

Attached Files:

29. pilotjunky

Builder

Hi Peter... what you say is true it is still on the network and you can connect via http. But, the upload appears to check whether the GRBL device is in Jog Mode (perhaps for safety?) and if the GRBL device is off it won't let you upload for that reason. At least, that's what I am seeing as I test.

30. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Do you have the latest Interface firmware installed?