Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Interface cable length

Discussion in 'Interfaces' started by phil_in_a_can, Mar 3, 2022.

Tags:
  1. phil_in_a_can

Builder

Hey all,

I wondering how long of a cable I could use with Interface? I need about 40' for an installation, I can easily make the cable. I'm wondering if I will have any signal loss over that distance, any thoughts?

Thanks,

-phil

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

We've only tested up to the included length and suspect longer will suffer from signal slewing, EMI and all other kinds of problems

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

40' !!!!
    you will probably have to convert to and from RS485 for that long . (this sort of thing TTL to RS485 Isolated Converter - 3.3V/5V - Micro Robotics)
    also, how can you have the interface 40' from the machine? the operator is going to struggle to jog and align the machine safely and properly from that distance, the whole point of the interface is that it can be close/part of the machine making things easier. oh, wait, how big is this machine? if you need a 40' run to fit in the cable trays, then, well, we need pictures!

4. phil_in_a_can

Builder

The machine is actually 20”x20” but this isn’t being used for milling. It’s actually getting attached to the ceiling and a pendulum will hanging from the x-carriage. I would need 40’ to go from the center of the room and down the wall so I could access it easily. My other option is to have a small pc or RPi attached to the gantry and then VNC into it for remote access.