Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Inherited Cube X printer troubles

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Matthew Stevens, Jul 17, 2023.

?

Choice of Software

1. Arduino

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Visual Studio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Matthew Stevens

Builder

So I got this printer from a friend that got it from a college that was upgrading to new 3D printers. It's a 2013 model Cube X from 3D Systems. It was gutted and rebuilt with after market parts. The controller is a Arduino MEGA 2560 and had Marlin 1.0.2 firmware.

I used the printer a few times and it worked great. I wanted to update the software because of some added features that I needed.. Wanted to get auto bed leveling which is a huge benefit to have. ordering a sensor for this.
    I had spent some time making mechanical adjustments to the bed but messed up my Y homing somehow pushing buttons on the controller, but that's another issue.

I decided it was time to update the controller to 2.1.2
    Something got screwed up during the software transfer and I'm in troubleshooting mode,. From what I understand there are two ways to send the software, one is via Arduino Software , and the other is using Microsofts Visual Studio.

I was using Visual studio following a Youtube tutorial closely when the file transfer completed , it said success. I looked at the machine and LCD is blank. Reboot machine, nothing on screen.

I'm thinking I might have not done something in the right order, or maybe my process is flawed.

I'm using the Arduino software right now since I am more familiar with it.

In debugging the code I got Serial Port 3 pin D14 and/or D15 conflicts with another pin on the board.

2. Matthew Stevens

Builder

3. Matthew Stevens

Builder

Spent some time learning to navigate Visual Studio, much more functions to learn but the main issue was in the source code.

4. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

Great to hear Matthew!

5. Matthew Stevens

Builder

unfortunately, we are not up and running yet. still tweaking the configuration.h file. I learned that I can connect my board directly to my computer to run it with Pronterface. Does anyone have experience with interfacing this? it is supposed to be strait forward. I don't think my main board is compatible.

6. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

I still have a 3D printer which has been running for a few years using an older version of Marlin - running on a Mega 2560. I use Pronterface on a PC (laptop or whatever) to send the g-code.
    I am not actually a fan of auto bed levelling - I just get it leveled manually which should always be the first consideration but yes, many people do like the autolevel feature.
    So, are you still using the 2560 controller when you say "main board"?

#6 Christian James, Jul 20, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2023