Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

I want to use the CNC as a plotter - Help?

Discussion in 'Other Software' started by Shqipetari, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Shqipetari

Builder

Hello everyone.

I just finished assembling my LEAD machine and used a jerryrigged pen to draw the customary "hello world". It is quite something to see the machine sing it to life.

Now I'd like it to draw something a little more complex so I vectorized a simplified image and tried to use the cam page to generate the gcode. no joy. page crashes no mater what format file I use (jpg, dxf, ai, bmp, png).

What do I use for the next step? I'm pc based.

I can ask a friend with vectric software to run the code for me but what do I ask for?

I'm at a loss. Help?

sample image of maximum complexity but I'm willing to simplify by a lot.

bundle of sticks-DSC04125-sk_vectorized.png

(Mods: I wasn't sure. If wrong section, please move.)

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Its important to consider the type of image before you attempt a trace. You have to think, about what the resulting vectors would look like: Ie will there be closed sections that the software can use to plan a toolpath inside/outside of. Is there space for an endmill in between, etc. While this is a pretty image, and I can see where you're mind is headed, I got to say though, thats not a particularly "cut friendly" file. Even in Vectric this would potentially be a problem, as you asked "but what do I ask for" - this particular file is hard to quantify into an answer, as its pretty abstract and the shapes doesnt really lend themselves to cutting. It would make an awesome Laser Raster file though (Classic case if finding the right tool for the job)

Here's some general tips to make this work though:

1. Either lower the resolution/detail or consider using an external tracing tool like Inkscape or Vector Magic. Even then, if the resulting trace is still not cut friendly / and or still contains too much detail, CAM would still find it very hard to compute toolpaths from.
    2. Start of a little less ambitious to build your skill level, load up some clipart style images to play with first - it takes a couple tries to train your brain into seeing a file and knowing if it makes sense as a cut file or not

Good luck!

Shqipetari likes this.
  3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

PS: For artistic pictures like this, you could checkout CNC Software as an alternative idea though - the process is called HalfToning

Shqipetari likes this.
  4. Shqipetari

Builder

Thank you. Half toner might be it. I have a subscription for vectomagic. the image I attached is a vectorized bmp.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. Shqipetari

Builder

update: I think I've pushed this pen drafting as far as I can and it's left me wanting. The resolution is just not there.

Time to change.

[​IMG]

I'm looking a J-Tech bundles. the 4w is calling my name.

6. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Just to save you the trouble - I loaded your pic into F-engrave - and this is the result (it also took a long time).
    Alex.

fengrave tree.png