Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

I want to design and build a small engraver/cutter with a limited knowledge

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by rottyrye, Mar 25, 2021.

1. rottyrye

rottyrye New
    Builder

I already own a CNC but i make a few things that cnc engraving isn't a great way to personalize. So Id like to have a separate laser engraver. I'd like to keep the footprint to under 12"x12" (15"15" with an enclosure) or 300x300. and only need about 150x150 work area. I want the machine to be able to engrave wood and leather but would like to be able to upgrade later to add a rotary table and/or a more powerful laser. I'm trying to build now in a way that all that would have to be swapped out would be the laser, if/when I want to add those options. I can buy an Ortur or comparable for $300 and get buy for now but I can never upgrade it, also its a way bigger footprint than I want, and it may become trash in a year or 2(assuming it lasts that long). Budget is a flexible $400 I can go $500 if it's really worth it, but much over that and I'll just keep working harder. I dont know how realistic this is. So here's what I'm thinking and need help with

Frame- should be easy, I'll use 2040, id think it shouldn't be taking much stress as long as I square everything up.
    Motors- my cnc uses NEMA17 and works fine so I assume those are ok

Belt driven- I own a lead screw CNC so ill never add a router/spindle to it. I'm not entirely sure how to design that part but I'm pretty sure I can get there on my own

laser and electronics- Not a clue. I use fusion360 already and could easily pickup something simple like lightburn (outside of the stated budget). I need to have the availability to expand with a laser capable of cutting hardwood later as well as a roller. Right now I need to be able to engrave hardwood and I'd like to be able to do leather and maybe acrylic, not something I work with now but have some ideas on expanding.

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Don't design and build. buy an ACRO kit and just cut the rails shorter if you really must. Everything in the box and guaranteed to work. (-:

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Or invest in a LEAD1010 - way overkill, but definitely not trashing it any time soon. And now you have a decent frame to modify to hearts content, and the rigidity to do anything with it. Especially if you want to add a beefy rotary at some point

4. rottyrye

rottyrye New
    Builder

It looks like a quality machine, but its $170 over the budget listed before adding the laser. What I want may not be in my price range

5. rottyrye

rottyrye New
    Builder

are these just bots? two responses from "open build team" that clearly didn't read the post. Why would I want to add a rotary when I already said I have a cnc already

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Just responding to.

And no, no bots, just friendly forum assistants trying to give you advice. Up to you to decide on whether it fits your needs, let the replies come in and something may fit.

7. rottyrye

rottyrye New
    Builder

Sorry the reference to beefy rails and rigidity made me think you meant a router/spindle.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

No problem, I understood you didn't want a router, was just mentioning, investing in a beefy machine to last longer (those cheap acrylic plate machines are only a bargain short term) would be better than planning on throwing a machine away in a couple years

:) Just felt like such a shame

9. REdington

REdington Well-Known
    Builder

#9 REdington, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2021
  10. Armadillo Works

Builder

My K40 CO2 only worked well after I got rid of the M2 Nano controller and China software. Replaced the unit with a controller I could use LightBurn software. Also added numerous modifications for safety reasons.