Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

I need better circles...

Discussion in 'Motors' started by David Marchant, Aug 17, 2022.

1. David Marchant

Builder

Not sure at this point how to start.. how do i adjust stepper motors current at blackbox.. and how do i know or how can i test what motors are seeing as far as current? And does this affect my circles? i can only imagine that if circles are not circles that other radial vectors would be off too.. .

2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi David, post your file you are using to get the circles, the drawing and the code if you can.
    The current pots should be ~75% toward full if using the high torque motors. As long as you have good air exposure to the BB, and the motors don't get so hot you can't touch them then you are good.
    The current is not the issue with circles typically, it's either calibration or backlash or a loose coupler between motor and leadscrew, grind flats for the screws and use blue loctite.
    Many software packages will convert curves into short segments.
    make sure the backlash nuts are not tight, they really should just take up any slop which when new there isn't any.
    Make sure your wheels are all adjusted to be touching rail and none of them are so tight you can't spin them (with some force) with your thumb.
    Pics of your bad circles would help too.
    cheers
    Gary

David Marchant likes this.
  3. David Marchant

Builder

Hello.. i have belt drive so im not sure on backlash nuts.. my wheels are rather snug.. unlwss you are talking about the nuts to adjust wheel tension.. Also ..when i do calibration.. 100mm test (default) ..was with in 1 mm .. but if i do dot test (self made test.. Both Y and X are off by 1/4 inches in length.. in x and y ..manually.. 1 inch incraments.. got these measurements..Circle in middle is traced from template.. arrows pointing to defects in circles.. and how do i onow if i am evenly distributing power to each motor..

Attached Files:

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Pulley slipping on motor shaft due to slightly loose grubscrews?
    Belt properly tensioned? Pulled to about 12kg

5. David Marchant

Builder

When i watch machine run a circle.. i can see the x axis stopping motion mid cut.. motor included.. (not motor spinning with no motion) and then resumes at later in tool path.. i will go thru tmrw and check all screws and grubs... also what are good settings for motor current from black box.. and how do i check said output from blackbox?
    Thanks for any and all help.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Factory default. Very unlikely to be current unless you turned them all the way down