Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

I Could use some suggestions for my project design. (Answered)

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Sniffles, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Sniffles

Sniffles New
    Builder

Hello. I have a frame of sorts that lets me move a camera horizontally and vertically.

What I really need is an elegant way to move the vertical assembly up and down and lock it into any position quickly and easily without resorting to a motorized solution.

I thought about drilling hole into a 1x2 and putting a bolt through the holes to lock the assembly in place but that isn't very convenient and it doesn't allow me to lock the assembly at any height.

I thought about installing eye bolts and using say paracord to manually pull the assembly up and down and just hold it in place but that would be a pain and I really need to lock the assembly without it moving at all.

I also thought about setting up a spring loaded bolt so I could squeeze two boards together to move the assembly up and down and release the boards to lock it into place in the nearest hole but then I can't lock it any where I want and I don't think that would work very well.

If anyone has a suggestion about how I accomplish this using my current design I would really appreciate your feedback.

The assembly will weigh about 5 pounds total with the equipment on it.

Here's a link to a demo of what i'm working with:
    Demo.gif

Here's a link to my Sketchup 2018 .skp file.
    2 Axis.skp

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Counterweight it so it naturally wants to stay put wherever you let go and then just use a simple spring loaded friction brake against the vertical rails to hold it in place.

Sniffles likes this.
  3. Sniffles

Sniffles New
    Builder

Thank you that is a genius idea. I like the idea of counter weighting it. I forgot I actually thought about some kind of friction brake but when I tried to look into how I could make one I didn't really find anything simple but reading your suggestion I think I have a few new ideas for that which would work. Thank you. :)