Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Huge 3d printer

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Thomas Collins, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Thomas Collins

Builder

I'm thinking of building a huge 3d printer using a shipping container as an enclosure and also mount the rails for all 3 axis with a stationary bed. Has anyone attempted this before or even make a fairly large one that could print something 10 ft. long by 6 ft. wide and 7 ft. high? I've seen Dr. D Flo and Ivan Miranda's builds but they aren't big enough for what I want to print. The picture is of one I found at a maker fair video shown on you tube.

Attached Files:

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I probably wouldn't go the route of the one shown in the photo. The cantilevered setup creates a lot of mass and subsequently inertia that has to be overcome and that will affect the quality of the print. Simpler is better.

3. Thomas Collins

Builder

Yes I agree with you there. the containers come in several configurations. One that opens at both ends is what I'm thinking to use. I was thinking to get a container 20 ft. and lay it out as shown in the diagram attached. This is all preliminary. The service walkways are likely just over a foot wide, which isn't a ton of space but limitations to the wide of these containers is 8 ft. and I want to insulate the walls as well so that I can have a heated container or print chamber

Attached Files:

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

I'd rotate it 90 degrees and have the side rails climbing the side walls. Keeps them out of the way. Also means your cross beam is shorter which means it will be lighter and have less deflection. This will also give you easier access to the model. When the gantry is at the opposite end of where you are you have full access without having to climb over anything.

5. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team