Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Hubless Rotation Structure

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by BillyBob, Apr 19, 2019.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob New
    Builder

I have a sheet of aluminum 10" x 48" that I rolled into a semicircle (180 deg). I need to be able to rotate this smoothly around its imaginary center point which is a radius of about 15" in a "hub-less" fashion. So I think I will need to build some kind of structure with a 30" diameter to use as a "track" for my sheet to use as a guide. Only about 1" on the outside edges of the rolled aluminum can be used for supports/guides and the remaining area must be left open. Hope that makes sense.

So I have either side of the this piece's edges of 48" to add some kind of guide/track that will be used to move this piece around the center point and to keep it true in its angular motion. Hopefully the attached rendering may help illustrate what I am trying to do.

Any suggestions on how I can mechanically arrange this?

Thank you for your help.

Bob

Attached Files:

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Would pocketed V-wheels do the trick? Make the base ring with a 1" cross section and cut some vertical pockets spaced around the ring with the V-wheels set down in them. Maybe even add a recess down the middle of cross section so the bottom edge of the aluminum would sit down slightly inside and the wheels would be fully recessed so they're not visible...

BillyBob likes this.
  3. BillyBob

BillyBob New
    Builder

Hmmm, well that is the kind of thing I was looking into, and why I posted here... I am just trying to visualize exactly what you are suggesting. However, yes the v-wheel arrangement would provide for the kind of movement I am wanting.

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

This is basically what I was suggesting:
    Ring 3.jpg
    Ring 2.jpg Ring 1.jpg
    Sketchup file attached

Attached Files:

BillyBob likes this.
  5. BillyBob

BillyBob New
    Builder

Ah, yes! Very interesting... Thank you. Let me contemplate how to go about the construction of such... This has got me excited, awesome!

6. BillyBob

BillyBob New
    Builder

Rick, this here, your suggestions/help is one of the several reasons why when I need to purchase items for my projects that the OpenBuilds Parts offer, I support them... Thank you very much for helping me through my mental block.

Rick 2.0 likes this.