Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

How to spec out power supply for multiple stepper motors?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by khizar mohammed, Jun 22, 2022.

1. khizar mohammed

Builder

I want to spec out a power supply for my project, I am unsure if I am doing it the right way. I will start by describing my requirements

Motors:
    1) Nema 23 High Torque stepper motor (2 unit)

From the spec sheet, I know R=1.2ohm, I=3.0A. Thereby I have calculated the coil voltage V=3.6v and W=3.6v * 3.0A = 10.8 watt.

Since I am using a bipolar stepper motor, I have two coils and the total power per motor is 21.6 Watts. With a 25% overhead for Peak draw , the power is now 27W/motor.

2) Nema 23 stepper motor(on open builds store)

Following the same procedure mentioned above, I have arrived at a power requirement of 21.56W.

Total power requirements
    Since I am using three motors (2 High torque ones + 1 Standard) my power requirements are 2x27 + 21.56 = 75.56 W

Total current draw requirements
    The high torque motors are rated at 3 amps/phase and the standard Nema 23 motors are rated at 2.8 amps/ phase. Therefore, I am estimating that the total current draw(taking into consideration two phases per motor) should be 3amps*2 phases*2motors + 2.8 amps * 2 phases = 17.6 amps. Is this the correct calculation? What is the correct way to calculate it?

Assuming all my calculations are correct, I would need a power supply that can supply 17.6 amps, and a power of 75.56 Watts.

Would the Meanwell 24V and 14.6 amps. power supply be sufficient since it does not allow a max current draw of 17.6 amps?

However it supplies a power of 24*14.6=350W. So, I am assuming it meets my power requirements.

Thank you for your patience till here. Can you please tell me if my approach is correct and what would be a good choice of power supply for my project? Thanks!

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It's 2.8/3A at +-3V coil voltage. It's not a DC motor, its a stepper - the driver takes 24v and "chops" it up into a DC sinewave of constant current (variable voltage)
    Suffice to say, our bundle includes our choice of PSU as its proven to work with everything in the bundle. Not just as sufficient current, but also other specs like safety, warranty, clean output power, and protection. +

3. khizar mohammed

Builder

Thanks for getting back. So the voltage is the most important here? Should I be concerned about the current draw?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You shouldn't be concerned if you use our parts - we do the effort to ensure it all works together so you don't have to. It's a modular build system, plug and play.

You have use 24v for a BlackBox yes - its only rated for 24v use.

5. khizar mohammed

Builder

Alright, Thanks a lot.