Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

How to properly shut down CNC with BlackBox and Interface

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Lybrary, Aug 27, 2022.

1. Lybrary

Lybrary New
    Builder

I am using the OB BlackBox and Interface combination on my CNC router. I am wondering if there is a proper way to shut down the machine. Or is it simply to turn off the power? All power to the machine is routed through an E-Stop. I am simply hitting the E-Stop but am wondering if there is a better way. For example, couldn't it remember the x and y positions so that one only needs to home z the next time the machine is turned on?

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

If you home your machine and then set your workplace co-ordinates system zero that is stored in eprom as an offset from your home (machine co-ordinates system zero) when you set it.
    When you next power on, home the machine again and the controller will know where the workplace co-ordinates system (XYZ) position is relative to the home position.
    Grbl actually sets the MACHINE co-ordinate system zero (home) where the machine is when you switch it on, so you ALWAYS need to run a homing cycle to set the back, right, up corner as zero (that's what should happen wherever you have your homing switches)
    Alex.

#2 Alex Chambers, Aug 27, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
  3. Lybrary

Lybrary New
    Builder

Thanks for the explanation. So cutting power is the proper way to shut it down. There is no special shutdown procedure.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

you can use a macro to park it near home, say
    G21 G53 G0 X-10 y-10 z-10
    then it only has to move 10mm to home when you start up again. saves a bit of time.

edit: added the G53, how could I forget that?

#4 David the swarfer, Aug 28, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    Alex Chambers likes this.
  5. Lybrary

Lybrary New
    Builder

Good idea. This gets me to another question. Is it possible to add custom routines to the Interface menu so that they can be called as one calls homing or editing the machine settings, etc.

6. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Good suggestion from @David the swarfer, although I'd do the macro as two lines ;

G21 G53 G0 Z-10
    G53 G0 X-10 Y-10

Raising Z first means it would be less likely to hit anything on the way. X and Y values, of course, would depend on where your homing switches are - those are for back, right, up.
    Alex.

David the swarfer likes this.
  7. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Save them as Gcode files on the USB, and run them as you would a job. For ease of finding them, make a folder for them

David the swarfer likes this.