Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

How to increase Ooznest Workbee Axis limit (Set axis maxima - M208)

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mikedb131, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Mikedb131

Mikedb131 New
    Builder

Hi All,

I've owned my 1000x750 Workbee for 12 months now - very happy.

I have just finished a Y-axis upgrade, increasing the dimensions from 1000x750 to 1500x750 (adding 500mm longer Y-axis leg extrusions, drive screws etc.).

I have completed the mechanical build, with the Workbee back up and working online as per the dashboard interface with it happily moving along all axis as before.

I am looking to tell the software that the Y-axis is now 1270, opposed to the original 770 length, as it of course does not know the machine is now larger - and still thinks it has it's original maximum Y axis length of 770.

I have tried copying & pasting the following line from 'config.g':
    'M208 X550 Y770 Z94 S0 ; Set axis maxima'

into 'customconfig.g' with the updated Y figure as below:
    'M208 X550 Y1270 Z94 S0 ; Set axis maxima'

and then hitting 'save', as well as hitting 'emergency stop' and turning the machine off and on, however the dashboard axis lengths/machine position still reads as per the original figures, as well as the machine not going past the now invisible maximum length.

If anyone could let me know what I am doing wrong/instruct as to what is needed it would be very much appreciated :)!

(Side note, I originally contacted Ooznest when purchasing the new parts and confirmed with them what was needed - and did mentioned the above plan for the axis increase, and was informed that they would not likely be able to help/assist me with the coding change).

Thanks guys!

Mike

Attached Files:

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

@Alex Chambers might be able to assist here since he's running at duet.

3. Mikedb131

Mikedb131 New
    Builder

Thanks @sharmstr will wait for his/a response!

A tad concerned as I've read a few other threads of people editing the config via the customconfig > save > emergency stop with nothing else required for it to work.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks dude!

Mike

sharmstr likes this.
  4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

The thing with Ooznest's firmware and the Duet is it forces you to home all axes when you switch on - so if you want to change the machine co-ordinate sizes then you have to change the homing files as well - you'll find homeall.g and homey.g in the sys directory on the SD card (go to system in the Duet Web Control display - right click on a file and click edit) - if you are using a recent version of the Ooznest firmware then there are 2~3 places in the homing files to change the Y maximum.
    Alex.

sharmstr likes this.
  5. Mikedb131

Mikedb131 New
    Builder

@Alex Chambers

Worked a treat.

I found that copying & pasting the adjusted lines into customconfig & hitting save, emergency stop worked - and when the Dashboard reloaded the 'Machine position' for Y booted up and showed the correct 1270 up from 770 and moved along all axis fine - however once home all was hit having moved along any axis - the increased Y dimension was wiped back to 770 with the new settings forgotten.

I made some copies of the original customconfig files on my desktop & changed them instead of placing the new lines in customconfig - worked a treat - figured instead of having to load up the customconfig each time the machine was on changing the originals would work better (with copies safely stored). *I did indeed change homeall.g & homey.g as well as the 208 - so not sure as to why it was wiped each time, however works now :)!

When buying the new components for the build I bought a handful of spares of most pieces - including a spare motor in-case one ever goes.

Just wondering (as I believe I've read on another thread that you've either similarly upgraded your machine size, or own a 1500(?) - having now increased from 1000 > 1500, would you upgrade both Y motors?

I currently have the 2305HS280AW 2.80A on all axis. With the increased demand for travel on the 2x Y's, just wondering whether they would be able to manage, or whether upgrading in advance would be the smart option.

Thanks a ton dude! Very much appreciated!

Mike

Alex Chambers likes this.
  6. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I'm still on my 1010 - never enlarged the machine.
    Check if you have more than one set of homing files - sometimes you have copies in the macro directory as well as the sys directory on the SD card.
    I once (stupid mistake) ran my X gantry into a clamp I'd left on the spoilboard - the steppers didn't even hesitate - ripped a chunk out of the 18 mm mdf spoilboard without missing a step. The extra travel will not bother them.
    Alex.

Mikedb131 likes this.
  7. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If I read your upgrade right, all you did was increase the length of the Y axis, correct? If so, there is no significant weight increase that you are moving around other than having to turn a screw that is twice as heavy which is no big deal. My current CNC router uses stepper motors that are similar in spec and I have a 1500 mm Y axis and 1/2" -10 five start lead screws which are significantly heavier than yours and I was v-caving at 3000mm/min with no issues last week.

Mikedb131 likes this.
  8. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

By the way - you can get away with changing the axis maximum in config.g without changing homing files (not good practice but it works) if you are reducing the size - the Duet remembers the smallest setting and will not overwrite it with a larger one.
    Alex.

9. Mikedb131

Mikedb131 New
    Builder

Will do.

Having changed the direct config.g I've since ran a load of jobs (and set up some tweaks for the now mega-case inc. the suspended vac tube & longer router cable) - seems to be good.

Will likely leave config as is (with the copies safely stored) - as hoping to not have to increase again for a good year+ :)!

Thanks again for the help @Alex Chambers

Will likely post photos at some point, I'm sure a few would like to see as my builds developed nicely over the last 12 months to the increased size & new mega 2m case. 50mm 360 case walling (box within a box with sandwich walls) made from 18mm MDF, 50mm acoustic roll compressed down to 6mm, 18mm OSB & 5mm sound board - reading outside to in. Considerable noise reduction from my previous case with only the 18mm & 5mm board :)!

Thanks again :)!

Mike

Alex Chambers likes this.
  10. Mikedb131

Mikedb131 New
    Builder

Hey dude. Thanks for the comment :)!

You are indeed correct, only the Y increase of 500mm.

I do agree, I was only concerned by the increase in workload relating to the new added further 500mm it will be constantly moving up & down (more mileage) vs the new length of screw being heavier. In theory it'll only be running the same amount of hours and speed as it would have with the smaller screws - just wondered whether the added mileage would somehow factor more wear to the Y motors!

Just thought I'd ask, safe than sorry.

Cheers @Giarc

Giarc likes this.