Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

How to finish a 3D project

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by KEITHABEAR, Nov 9, 2019.

1. KEITHABEAR

Builder

I mostly use southern yellow pine for 3D carving and would like suggestions on what kind of staining and the process, any input would be helpful

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I have used pine for furniture before and you need to put on a pre stain treatment before staining because pine takes stain unevenly without it and ends up blotchy (if that is a word).

3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If I recall correctly, I used a pre-stain product from minwax. Here is a quick video showing it although I do not know why he is demonstrating on oak. Oak doesn't need it. The video also confirmed "blotchy" is a word.:thumbsup:

#3 Giarc, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Use a spirit based stain on pine if you want to change the colour (because of the resin in the pine water based stains do not take evenly). Be prepared to experiment with diluting it to get the colour you want.
    Polyurethane varnishes tend to yellow with age (but pine tends to darken with age as well).
    If you want a gloss finish and can get it where you are Rustin's Plastic Coating gives the most hard wearing finish.
    Or you could use a wax finish (with or without a stain added) - apply with very fine wire wool and buff off when dry with a clean cloth. Wax can get grubby over time.
    Alex.