Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

How to connect 4 linear actuators not at 90 degrees

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by AndreyPavlov, Dec 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. AndreyPavlov

Builder

4 C Frame linear actuators.png
    These are 4 C Beam 40x80x1000mm linear lead screw actuators arranged in a square but facing towards the center.
    I want to connect these four together around the perimeter with something like -
    Part Number: 40-4080
    40mm X 80mm T-Slotted Profile - Six Open T-Slots
    How can I do this and with what part numbers?
    Bonus info if possible is I want to create a table with wheels under those so I can roll the device around. The table part I can see some examples but how to nicely mount those towers to it? It is a larger format 3d printer in the end.

#1 AndreyPavlov, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Something like this might work?
    20-2568

4. AndreyPavlov

Builder

45 degree attachment.png
    I found these 45 degree attachments that are supposed to work on the inside of two extrudes and not twisted to the side like I have shown. I would have to drill out four holes inside those little slots on top and bottom then run a bolt and anchor thingy for each hole then mount a 40mm type extrusion on the blue face which fits as designed so no mod needed there. Here is the page 14118

5. Dale Y

Dale Y New
    Builder

I would think a pc of angle drilled through the sides at the correct location to create the 45 when mounted. I can picture it in my head, but don't have the design software on my computer right now to lay it out.

6. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

I would just replace the end plates with plates that accommodate a 45 degree. The is the easiest and cleanest solution. It's a printer, so you don't really need aluminum either. Just use 3/8" acrylic. Do this top and bottom. Design some printed parts to connect them mid way as well if more support is needed.

That 45* piece will only increase possible misalignment. I also don't see it saving any money when you have to buy so many to make up for the potential lack of rigidity. Plus it won't be pretty.

Rick 2.0 likes this.