Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

How to clean clear plastic sheets?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by jeffmorris, Oct 8, 2020.

1. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

Clear plastic sheets usually have paper covering the sheets to protect them from scratches. If the sheets are new, it's possible to peel the paper off and don't leave "glue" on the sheets. I was given "old" plastic sheets and the paper came off, leaving old glue on the sheets. I tried using Isopropyl alcohol and Goo Gone, and it was too much work. Any suggestions?

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Not sure you're going to find anything that will do the job without a bit of scraping which will trash the sheets. Suggestions I would offer would be Goof Off or cooking spray (or even olive oil). Cover and let soak for quite a while in a warm location.

3. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

I spend a few hours cleaning up the plastic sheets and a few hours building a new enclosure that attaches to the SainSmart Coreception 3D printer's box frame. I didn't like the SainSmart's tent-like enclosure.

4. Mark Lytle

Builder

soak it in water :0) worth a shot

5. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

6. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

it's a pain for sure, I use denatured alcohol and let it soak the paper for a minute and it will come off easier.
    I buy it by the gallon at homedepot, its useful to have (like for thinning or cleaning shellac based paint, cleaning surfaces before painting or gluing and so on)
    Gary