Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

How do the lijit switches work?

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by xl97, Apr 3, 2022.

1. xl97

xl97 New
    Builder

Just getting around to using these..but I have a couple (apparently?) old limit switches that purchased from the store.

** Switch, backing plate, 3 bolts, 1 washer, 1 drop in tree nut.**

I guess this a noob question, but how are these switches suppose to mount to the provided plate?

* The plate itself has no threaded holes (elongated, no threads)
    * The switch itself has 'holes' but they are not threaded, and the bolts provided in the kit are too big to go through. If you try to thread them through the switch housing itself breaks apart/separates. (one lost kit/switch)

Since I only have one working switch left, I'd like to be educated on how these switch mount to the plate?

** I cant seem to edit the title (typo?) :(

Thanks

#1 xl97, Apr 3, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

At this point, rather get yourself the new switches : Xtension Limit Switch Kit

All round better - fitting old switches to a new build, rather get the good ones now to avoid frustration

They used to come with M3 bolts to attach to the plate, so your's mustve gotten lost through the years.

There are old assembly videos on our YouTube but they are old, basic, and without EMi filtering etc not worth fitting these anymore...

3. xl97

xl97 New
    Builder

I dont believe I lost anything, I literally just opened the bags, as they were shipped.

But in theory, how does that still work? The plate has no threaded holes?

I am not using this for any laser/router based project. Just a custom project that I decided to try open builds v-slot rail/hardware...(belt and pinion stuff, only 1-axis...etc) and the limits switches you had at the time. I am now (finally) at a point where I need to use what I purchased. The new ones looks much bigger as well? (I am hoping to keep my small/discrete as possible) :)

Update: I checked the YouTube link in your footer.. but there was only a new limit switch video that I saw.. (not an old one) am I missing it? Just looking for the original directions, or guidance (since no threaded holes?) is all. :)

Update 2: I tried to search on-line. I found a similar kit at maker store:
    Micro Limit Switch Kit with Mounting Plate - Maker Store USA

This one looks to the threaded holes. Yours have elongated holes, without threads. (Both kits have the same backing plates)

Thanks

#3 xl97, Apr 3, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

Well if you have issues related to EMI, remember the good switches are an option.

The M3 screws thread into the Plastic of the switch. Screw head > plate > switch

5. xl97

xl97 New
    Builder

OK.. thanks. So I guess I was sent the wrong screws apparently? Because the ones supplied seem to break/crack the switch housing/case open.

Again.. no EMI issues, thanks. :)

6. Peter Van Der Walt

As mentioned before, the new switches are a massive improvement. Those were how they worked, M3 screw not meant for plastic, screwed into the plastic by force. Really, just get the good ones (;

Not yet :)