Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

How do I add a laser to my CNC (BLACKBOX)

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Calgarus, Nov 27, 2022.

1. Calgarus

Calgarus New
    Builder

Hello all,

Looking for advise here as I'm pretty new. I'd really like to attach a laser to my DIY CNC.

I use the Blackbox controller from open builds.

What laser module do you recommend and do you have any tips on how to run it with the Blackbox?

TIA

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Calgarus likes this.
  3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Calgarus likes this.
  4. Calgarus

Calgarus New
    Builder

Thanks for the replies.

Let me be a little more specific. I'm looking for something more powerful than the kits on the website.

I'm looking for a stand alone laser module that can be added to anything from a 3D printer to a CNC router.

I know there are limitations to laser modules like that but I'd be looking for the most powerful I can get away with before going to a co2

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Our recommended vendors has other models - feel free to click on through to their respective websites.

For example: PLH3D-15W Laser Head for Laser Engraving & Cutting - Opt Lasers and others

Do note UV diode lasers also has a wavelength limitation (445nm is more effective on organics like wood, leather, paper, etc and not very efficient on plastics, resins, glues (plywood), etc). CO2 lasers use near infrared 10600um wavelength, which is effective on organics, and plastics. Wattage alone is not always a good measure of "cutting power". Diodes are excellent for engravings (better power control for better grayscales, etc) so you really got to match your work requirements to the right tool for the job

Calgarus likes this.