Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Hot Knife Foam Cutter Acro 1515 with belt and pinion z-axis Blackbox Settings?

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by JesseS, Dec 20, 2019.

1. JesseS

JesseS New
    Builder

I'm attaching a 250mm hot wire pen for cutting EPS to an ACRO 1515. The 20x20 V-Slot linear rail works nicely for the z-axis, and doesn't crash when the stepper is powered down.

Does anyone have any recommendations for BlackBox settings to start with as far as acceleration, etc.? I can't just set it to ACRO 1515 because it wants to remove the z axis when I do that, and I'm sure that as light as the pen cutter is, the V-Slot and stepper add more mass than I would guess a diode laser has.

Thanks for your help.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It suggests you install it, but the window does have a No Thank you button too (;

3. JesseS

JesseS New
    Builder

LOL, I did the no thank you, but I was concerned about how saving the settings that it changed would affect things. So can I just do the 1515 settings and say no to the flash but yes to saving the settings? When I looked at the servo pen version, it appeared to have the same z-axis settings that would match up with the pulleys that are on the rest of the machine. I picked up the nema17 belt and pinion package and changed out the 20x80 rail for the 20x20, so I imagine it should have different steps per mm with the 20t vs 14t pulley on the rest of the machine?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Correct, skip the flash (all it does is remove Z from the Homing command anyway)
    Save the settings but of course change them as appropriate, they are explained in great detail on github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki
    CONTROL also has tools for calculating steps (calc button next to steps-per-mm inputs on Grbl Settings tab, and Calibration Wizards and Wizards and Tools button)

5. JesseS

JesseS New
    Builder

Thanks! I finally got a chance to make a test cut today, it was outstanding. The only problem was that plunging at the federate necessary to prevent the tool from jamming into the foam before it could melt it resulted in a rather large depression from the heat being in one place for so long (12mm radius vs 6mm during normal cutting). Is there a relatively easy way to generate a little pierce area in the gcode, similar to how you would need to with a plasma cutter, piercing in a waste area and then moving into the cut? I was using Openbuilds CAM for my path planning.