Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Homing keeps dirving in X & Y

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by Ed_D, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Ed_D

Ed_D New
    Builder

Good Evening,
    I'm experiencing an issues with homing. I was running a job removing material from the center of a bowl I'm making. Several times while the program was running it just stopped and suggested I re-home. So I did as suggested. Z homed fine, bounced back. As it moved to the X it hit the limit switch and kept driving. Not a pleasant noise, kind of scared the crap out of me. So I checked the switches manually, all work as expected. Got the alarm. So I though maybe the distance was too great so I inched up on the switch manually and it works.
    Nothing on the machine has changed. It's been running for several months with no issues. I haven't played with the wiring, switches or anything else. I searched the forum but I'm not seeing a possible solution with the exception of re-calibrating. I'm just not sure how that would affect the homing problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ed

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

What controller and switches are you using?
    When testing, you actuate switches by hand. What happens if you gently jog into them (perhaps they moved a little and now carriages aren't able to reach switch)
    Lastly, make sure the correct axis lights up in Troubleshooting. If x is plugged into y and vice versa for example

What was the alarms mid job? False hard limits triggers? EMI or bad switches?

3. Ed_D

Ed_D New
    Builder

Afternoon Peter,
    Thanks for the reply. I went through and checked the XY plugs and lo and behold they were switched. I would have bet everything that that wasn't the problem. ID10T strikes again. :)
    The error was the False hard limit from a previous event.
    It's back and running like a champ. Really appreciate the support.
    Regards,
    Ed

4. Peter Van Der Walt

5. Ed_D

Ed_D New
    Builder

Thanks - I just checked it out.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. Ed_D

Ed_D New
    Builder

Hmmm, maybe I spoke too soon. Ran a job after fixing the connectors, worked fine. Started another one to surface a piece of cherry and I had the error repeat 3 more times. I also noticed that I had a lot of static build up from the dust collector. Figured this might be the culprit so I grounded the hose with stranded copper wire. I even pushed the wire down into the air stream. I'm using a Sweepy dust shoe (plastic), probably not the best choice. Wrapped a little wire around the outside and grounded that to the wire around the hose. A lot less static build up but still had some. Got another error. Took the shoe off and finished the one side. It even seemed like the MDF bed of the machine had sawdust standing up on the edge of the bed. Very weird.
    I've read a few threads about grounding the servos since the wheels are nylon. I understand the basics of shielding, I'm just not sure where to start or what to look for. Not an electrical guy but trying to figure it out.

Peter - You asked what controller and switches I'm using. It's all openbuilds. It's not pretty, but when it works it works beautifully. I built it with short rails at first. Then decided to upgrade the rails to a larger size. It's the size of a Leeds 1010 machine. My wire management isn't the greatest but open to suggestions. I'd just like to get this resolved.
    Captured the error this time.
    Appreciate the help.
    Ed

Attached Files:

7. Peter Van Der Walt

See docs:blackbox-x32:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation] - that dust hose is likely the biggest culprit. Bare braid down the inside (not outside) will help a little, proper foiled anti static hose even better

Go over our EMI FAQ - we wouldn't go that far. Address the source (Dust hose) not every symptom

8. Peter Van Der Walt

upload_2023-2-7_22-52-26.png
    The routers power cabled wrapped basically around the low voltage signal cabling - which in turn is also running parallel to the Z motor wiring - is subjecting your Z axis limits wiring to two sources of EMI - from the router power cable and from the stepper motor wiring. Seperate the Limits wiring away from EMI sources like motor/power/spindle wiring (as per the aforemention EMI FAQ)

9. Ed_D

Ed_D New
    Builder

The routers power cabled wrapped basically around the low voltage signal cabling - which in turn is also running parallel to the Z motor wiring - is subjecting your Z axis limits wiring to two sources of EMI - from the router power cable and from the stepper motor wiring. Seperate the Limits wiring away from EMI sources like motor/power/spindle wiring (as per the aforemention EMI FAQ)

Rerouting the wiring now after rereading the FAQ again. I did wrap the dust collection hose, probably need to do a better job. Did it in a hurry. I'll work on these 2 fixes and let you know how it goes. Thanks Peter.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  10. Peter Van Der Walt

11. Ed_D

Ed_D New
    Builder

Oh I know about the quick fix, lol. The anti-static hose is the answer but I'm working on a budget it's on my wish list.

Relocated all the wiring, separated the servos wires from the switches and moved the router power cord. It not touching anything now. I'm done for the evening and we'll see what happens tomorrow. I let you know how it goes.

Have a good night.

12. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

No need to spend loads of money to earth the dust hose - a length of bare copper wire along the inside connected to mains earth at the Vacuum end is all it needs.

Alex.