Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Homemade surface probe can you can probe default values?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by HarveyMatyas, Jul 20, 2022.

1. HarveyMatyas

Builder

I have made my own X, Y, and Z touch probe. I tested the probe to see if I it would work. I can zero all
    3 axis independently. I have not use it to do all 3 at once since I made mine on a manual mill at a Makerspace and it was I used this project as my way to learn how to mill Aluminum. The sides are not even, one is 0.409 inches and the other side is 0.467 inches and it is 0.59 inches thick. I know that the piece is square and level (since someone else made it for me). The sides should be correct since I only milled in a square pattern. There is a hole that I drilled through the zero point so that I can see the corner of the wood.
    If I can't use the probe, I take it that I will need to make a Macro to do the procedures that the probe does.
    Thanks in advance.

Harvey

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Select Probe type: Custom in the wizard (bottom of the window) > click the gear > enter your offsets

Mark Carew and sharmstr like this.
  3. HarveyMatyas

Builder

Peter

Thank you for the information so quickly. I did what you told me to do. However, when I did that (Also made sure of the bit was corrected diameter). I got the following results which I could fudge, but there may be a reason for it. When I remove the probe and moved the bit to the exact corner, I got the following readings, x = -6 mm, y= -6 mm, and z = 6 mm. Is this an offset or do I need to make an adjustment to the numbers that I placed for a custom probe? Thanks again, I want to get this correct and not make changes when I should not make changes.
    Maybe my micrometer is off by 6 mm?

Harvey

4. HarveyMatyas

Builder

After reading several posts. It looks like I should not do Homing and use Gotozero instead. Right now I forgot the Gcode for going to
    a particular spot like X5 and Y5 or something like that and then probe for z.
    Does this make sense?

5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Always home your machine when you switch on - it's the only way your controller knows where the edges and corners of your machine are - it sets the machine co-ordinate system.
    Probing is used to set the workplace coordinates system zero. If the offsets you put into the probe software for the dimensions of the probe are correct it should set the workplace coordinates system zero at the centre of the bit with the bit touching the workpiece surface.
    Code for a rapid move to the workplace zero is;-

G90 G0 X0 Y0 Z0

For testing, if you think there might be issues, leave the Z0 off to move to X0 Y0 with Z at a safe height.

If you want to go to a specific place in the workplace coordinates system just change the numbers after the X & Y, but if you want to go to a specific place on the machine you need to use the machine co-ordinate system. For this you need to put G53 at the beginning of the line of code ;-

G90 G53 G0 Xn Yn Zn

Immediately after that code the controller will again be in the workplace coordinates system - whenever you want to move in the MACHINE co-ordinate system you have to put G53 at the beginning of the line.

The G90 (absolute movement mode - move to the co-ordinates specified - G91 relative movement mode - move the specified distance from where the machine is now) are not strictly necessary every time - it is a modal command which the controller remembers until another command changes it.

Alex.

#5 Alex Chambers, Jul 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    Rink and Mark Carew like this.
  6. BenvdMerwe

Builder

Hi Peter, 1) Could you elaborate a bit more about the Offsets (X and Y), as to where it starts from. 2) How do one get the cycle that measures the tool size
    as on the Linux version?
    Then: Very pleased with the Linux version of the control Software. You Guys did great.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You'd need the https://docs.openbuilds.com/xyzprobe/

Offset = distance between edge of probe, and edge of material - as probes have an overhang edge you hang over the stock

upload_2022-8-12_19-0-39.png

8. BenvdMerwe

Builder

Thanks: :) Would like to purchase the probe but for SA the Dollar Exchange Rate makes it UN-affordable for me.