Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Higher Z for LEAD 1515

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by danab, May 14, 2021.

Tags:
  1. danab

danab New
    Builder

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to increase the z axis of the LEAD 1515 system to 1000mm for a specialized application with a 3-5kg camera. Essentially, I'm hoping to adapt the concept of the High Z Mod by increasing the length of the vertical support rails on the y carriage assembly to 500mm and then upgrading the z axis c-beam and lead screw to 1000mm.

Would the z axis c-beam cause significant deflection/wobble from static loading when mounted like this? Would you suggest further increasing the length of the vertical support rails on the y carriage assembly and increasing the distance between the x axis rails to better support the z axis?

Thanks!

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Checkout post #22 in OpenBuilds LEAD CNC Machine 1515 (60" x 60")

At 1000mm though, you may see some wobble: You can refer to How to calculate V-Slot® deflection for more but in practice, you may want to build it and see if it suffices, as you are using for a camera not a CNC, we don't really have a proven baseline to compare against

3. danab

danab New
    Builder

Thanks Peter. I'll move forward with the plan and see how it performs.

4. RobertsonArchery

Builder

Old post, I know, but relevant. Wouldn't using C bean instead of the 20x80 be significantly more ridgid and reduce the wobble related to the sides? I get there will still be somewobble introduced via the Z carriage...

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It may. Thats the wonderful thing about a modular system. Its like lego for adults. Go ahead and experiment away :)

RobertsonArchery likes this.
  6. RobertsonArchery

Builder

Awesome, I'll give it a shot. I need all the rigidity I can get and also need the extra room for large stock. I put a massive 4kw spindle on my 1515; itnis 14 inches tall and heavier than a Mac truck.

7. Soultie

Soultie New
    Builder

o_O ****! How is that working out on the 1515? Any issues with precision/wobble/deflection/chatter?