Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

High Z upgrade mod

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by residentdj, Jan 29, 2023.

1. residentdj

Builder

So i got High Z upgrade with my 1010, but flipping the Z beam and rigidly mounting it to the X gantry plates kind of defeats the purpose of it since you can’t just easily go from lets say 12” thick material to 1/4” material or to the laser head, so you have to do the whole song and dance with all those 18 screws just to move the beam up and down…. unless i’m doing something wrong?

So, i’ve been looking at it and thinking of a way to flip it back over how it used to be without losing rigidity. And then i realized that double-wide plates are available. So I want to try sandwiching the X gantry between double wide plates , flipping the Z beam back to how it was originally and maybe adding another Z gantry plate with more wheels and another nut block above the existing one. This will also make sure that both X beams are always square. Does this make sense? Am I missing something? Speak now or forever hold your peace

In unrelated news, I’ve had a 28” tall structured media cabinet sitting in the garage unused [It the thing you have in your closet (usually) where your low voltage lines wired to. coaxial, ethernet, fiber, etc]. It’s 28” x 12” x 4”. So, I decided to mount it on the back or a side of the enclosure and run all electronics and power there, to keep in clean and protected and, perhaps, add a connector or a terminal of some sort so the machine can be easily disconnected and removed from the enclosure if needed. Am i over-engineering this thing and should just leave it alone? I really want to get all these cables and wires out of my way

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Read through the High Z Mod for Lead CNC. Within the first couple of pages you see how to reverse the axis beam to where the whole beam moves which allows the spindle to go all the way down.

3. residentdj

Builder

Thanks, Rick! Yeah I stripped my entire machine down couple of days ago, now re-assembling to match that thread, but i still want to see if i can add another double wide plate in there.

For some reason I was unable to get one of the eccentric spacers tight enough on the right C-beam to prevent one of the wheels from free spinning. Changed the 65 mm bolt, made sure everything is straight, and it seems ok now.

It is normal that spacing between plates 44mm on non-adjustable side and 45mm on the side with the eccentric spacers? All of mine have between 0.8mm and 1mm difference. And on the left side when the nylon nut blocks are loose, lead screw turns easy and everything is moving nice and easy. With one nut block tight to the plate a little harder. With the second nylon nut block screws tightened, i can’t turn the lead screw at all. Checked to see if the lead screw is bent. Does not appear to be so.

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

No, it's not. You may have gotten the wrong eccentric spacers. They come in 6mm and 1/4". Look at the side of the eccentrics. You should have gotten ones that say 6mm. If they say .250 on the side contact the shop for replacements.

May be an issue with overtightened screws pulling the spacers into the recessed holes in the nut blocks or you may be missing a washer. If you have a 1mm washer between the 6mm spacer and the wheel you also need a 1mm washer between the 3mm spacer and the nut block.