Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help with X32

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by H@wk, Mar 21, 2024.

Tags:
  1. H@wk

H@wk New
    Builder

I received my BBX32 this week and proceeded to install it today. On first startup all went well but I had to change settings as I am upgrading from an X4. Now I am receiving this error... I rechecked all the wiring an all seems fine.

upload_2024-3-21_15-20-22.png

2. H@wk

H@wk New
    Builder

Getting some interesting results. I pulled all the wiring and restarted the controller. Ops Normal. Did not find any loose connections. Then I started installing each wire separately. Still all good.

I then proceeded to run each axis manually and all moved as it should.
    I then tried to home the machine. This did not go as planned. Z axis did fine, Y axis moved in the right direction, but the X axis did not move, but only moved with the pull back amount. This caused an error and disconnected the com port.

The saga continues...

3. H@wk

H@wk New
    Builder

this is the error when the machine disconnects:
    [16:13:21] [ ] PORT ERROR: Writing to COM port (GetOverlappedResult): Unknown error code 433

[16:13:21] [ disconnect ] PORT INFO: Port closed

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

That CAN kill the BlackBox! So double check ALL WIRING! (Removing the short and still having an alive box is already luck, don't reconnect without fixing the shorts!)

5. Peter Van Der Walt

As you mention Pull Back - I'll assume you Homed? So X limit switch is shorting! Check wiring mounting etc

6. H@wk

H@wk New
    Builder

No it does not look like it is shorting. If I manually move the machine or simulate a trigger on any of the limit switches, I get a triggered limit the way it should do. I am using 24v switches. I will check the wiring again this weekend and see if I can find something.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

and
    Are both very solid clues that

Is going to cost you a BlackBox. There's something there.
    3rd party components, incorrect wiring, etc can affect your warranty. Worse so if clear clues are ignored

Pics of Endstops wiring for review please

Then what was the machine doing when you said

(pull back is a term used in Grbl's homing, and homing relates to switches)

8. H@wk

H@wk New
    Builder

I am very nervous to run it again. I definitely don't want to loose the BB. I will take out all the wiring and rewire all the connections to make sure there are no problems.

Jogging the machine works 100% for all axis. If I run the x, y or z axis towards the limits individualy, it triggers the limits as it should. It is only the homing cycle that behaves odd. The homing cycle works for all other axis but the x does not move in a negative direction. It starts with the z axis, and completes the z axis as expected. Then it does the x and y axis together. During this phase the x does not move in a negative direction. After the y cycle completed, then the x moves in the positive direction together with the y axis during the pull back phase of the homing process (5mm).

I suspected settings at first until I realized the controller disconnects during this last phase of the homing with the error above.

I ran out of time today. Will continue this weekend again. I must say the X32 is a nice piece of kit. It is much faster than the x4.

Thanks for the help Peter

9. Peter Van Der Walt

I do check forum over the weekend so please do

- Pics of the X switch wiring etc
    - Troubleshooting tab without X triggered and with X Triggered
    - Grbl Settings backup for review

10. H@wk

H@wk New
    Builder

11. Peter Van Der Walt

OK so reverse engineering off the pics, you had Blue = GND, Brown = V+ and Green/Yellow as SIG

On the Inductives, you have the typical Brown, Blue, Black. Checking up a datasheet they show its usually Brown = V+, Blue = GND (So matches yours) and Black = SIG (Wired to green/yellow in the joint, also correct) - assuming that is the X-axis joint, just double check the others too.

So at least it looks correct. Wiring looks neat (You'd be surprised what we sometimes see with cables stripped to far back or squished in without a twist and just single conductors hanging out the back of terminals. Reassuring to see good work)

I do spot the VFDs control panel in close proximity to the BlackBox, its wiring could be conducting EMI from the VFD and then radiating into BlackBox, so a test with VFD powered off might be a good one docs:blackbox-x32:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Awaiting your feedback on the question above (re pullback?) and the Grbl Settings backup then

12. H@wk

H@wk New
    Builder

The last few days I spent fault finding. So far I found a limit switch that was faulty. Replaced that with a new one as it was getting very hot under normal operation. After that I traced the issue to a y axis stepper by incrementally removing each steppers connector. X and Z axis seems fine but the Y axis reported an error as soon as I connected it. I replaced that and still had the same error. I was getting desperate as nothing seems to be working. I also replaced the wiring to the Y axis motors but still no luck.

By this time everything was new apart from my laptop...

Long story short, I used a different PC and all issues disappeared! It seems that the usb ports on my 12 year old laptop was the problem. All the usb ports on the laptop was faulty. No usb drive works nor does a wireless keyboard sender. The BB still sees the port but communication failed. Kudos to the X32!

I cannot begin to describe my elation at this point. I have a functioning machine again. Now the fun part starts.

I might have purchased the BB X32 in error as it seems my trusty old X4 is still good. Now I will have build another machine as I have a spare controller (wink).

Thanks for the help.