Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help req. Finishing a Sign

Discussion in 'CNC Projects' started by Colin Mccourt, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Before I bought my Workbee CNC I purchased a wooden sign which had been made on a much larger industrial machine. I purchased it in its raw state (which I had requested) Probably an oversight on my behalf but after many many hours sanding and sealing the darn thing I am now at a point on how to tackle the recessed script writing...
    I have painted in the letters with over spill onto the plaque itself so that when I rubbed this down again I was left with clean clear distinct script...
    Now my problem is how to or rather what with (technique to use) to repaint the surface without overspilling into the recess of the lettering....I thought about an almost dry gloss paint roller (7") and applying several coats with drying time inbetween other than that I'm at a loss.
    Maybe I'm attacking this in the wrong manner
    Can anyone offer up any help in this matter
    any assistance would be gratefully appreciated as I want to get this piece finished and hung on my son's bedroom wall as soon as poss.
    Regards
    C

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi Colin, what paint did you use for the lettering? Could you post a picture? One possible technique would be to carefully mask the lettering with something you could clean off later that the next paint application won't stick to (vegetable oil? model makers often use a masking oil for situations like this, but that would be on a plastic or metal base) I would recommend some experiments - you don't need the lettering, just a recess in some similar material you could get to the same stage as your sign. Personally I would apply a clear sanding sealer next (shellac or better cellulose based) to stop the next layer of paint "bleeding" along the grain of the wood. You need to check that the two paints don't interact. You may also need to touch up the edges of the lettering after the second paint job.
    Alex.

3. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Yeah cheers again @Alex Chambers I wasn't sure I'd get any feedback down here in the bowels so thanks for that.
    This was a bought sign Alex, so the approach is a little different to what I would do as and when I attempt something myself.
    I think the correct way was to first paint the base coat to a sign then apply a clear masking film, then CNC the piece, clean up the lettering and spray paint in....I will experiment with this Alex but as you say maybe a sealer in there may work
    Regards
    C

PS the paint is just straight forward Flat Emulsion. I wonder would a little Rustoleum Clear Finishing Wax or candle grease rubbed in there work, resand the surface and then repaint the surface, logic being I can clean out the overspill from the wax

#3 Colin Mccourt, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

If the lettering is painted with emulsion then a masking oil won't work unless you thoroughly seal it first.
    Alex.
    Re your PS: if you get wax on the surface you are about to paint you won't clean it off.

#4 Alex Chambers, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  5. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Ok many thanks @Alex Chambers for your time on this...Well I'm off to experiment,
    I'll let you know how I get on later.
    Regards
    C

6. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Just for future signs check out this:

Do a YouTube search for "How to paint Routed signs"

7. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I've used this technique with a hand router and lettering templates - just one point he didn't mention in the video - go over the vinyl after routing to make sure the edges are still firmly stuck down.
    Alex.

Colin Mccourt and GrayUK like this.
  8. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Colin Mccourt likes this.
  9. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi @Colin Mccourt, did you ever finish this? If so how did it turn out?
    Alex.

10. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Get back to you Alex I'm on my way to London