Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help/recommendations upgrading Blacktooth Laser

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Jason Hardwyre, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Jason Hardwyre

Builder

Hello forum. So I built the Blacktooth laser cutter kit from BYCNC (https://buildyourcnc.com/blackToothLaserCutterAndEngraver.aspx) and eventually upgraded it from a 40 watt to a 100 watt by mounting the tube outside of the case rather than on the gantry.

It's works fairly well, but the wear on the rails is making it difficult to use the full work area since I tend to lose fine alignment at the more extreme ends. I found that the aluminum rails, which are rode on by steel double-v wheels, are showing signs of mushrooming and need to be replaced.

The machine is build out of plywood, but the rails bolt to the them as shown in this picture (step 22).
    [​IMG]

The wood portion makes up part of the cabinet's structure as well.

What I would like to try to do is replace the gantry with something light weight, and rails that are more accurate. If I remove everything, the wood frame components provide a flat shelf that I could set something on, if bolting to where the existing rails are isn't viable.

Does anyone have any recommendations for upgrading this cabinet's rails and gantry? Has anyone used the Blacktooth before?

I'd like to build a larger cabinet, but that's a much more involved project for down the road when I have more time.

Thank you for the help.

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The vslot linear rail is on sale now. I would use this as a go by and mount new x and y rails that will last for a very long time using the proper v- wheels. Steel on aluminum is a bad idea.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Jason Hardwyre

Builder

Excellent, thank you. I'll take a look. :)