Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help needed with blackbox relay

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Judehey, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Judehey

Judehey New
    Builder

I just expanded my workbee x axis, and built a dedicated electronics enclosure. When I rewired it, everything worked fine except the router control relay. I'm using the Blackbix and the IOT switching relay power strip sold by Openbuilds, wired per the blackbox instructions. Before the rewire, it worked fine, now it behaves bizarrely. I can turn the router on and off fine from Control, but when I run a job, the router turns on, jerks a small distance in the x-y plane, then begins to descend in z. The position readouts move in the x-y as expected. The z position readout does not change, all while the router is slowly descending. I've verified the wiring multiple times, and also replaced the wire,.
    Can anybody please help me with this?
    Thanks

#1 Judehey, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Does it happen with the router off? Flip the router switch to off so it wont come on when the job runs. Run the job again far enough to see if Z plunges again. If it doesnt, than its EMI so check to make sure when you rewired that you didnt run mains power next to signal wires. If it does, than triple check your motor wires. Check for loose wires at the connections, shorts or perhaps you crimped on the wire insulation instead of the bare ends.

Sounds like you probably checked the doc, but I'll post these links just in case
    docs:blackbox:faq-identify-motor-coils [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    docs:blackbox:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation]

3. Judehey

Judehey New
    Builder

I'll check that next chance. The router power cord runs parallel to the stepper wires through the drag chains for about 1/2 the run. This is the same path I used previously, which was successful, but the runs are longer. Everything runs fine when I run a job turning on the router manually, with the relay wire disconnected.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

24v psu plugged into the Iot relay by mistake maybe (it's not a power strip)

Accidentally connecting PSU to the "normally on" socket, turns OFF the 24v PSU when your turn ON the Router - Explains the above.

Disconnect it from the IoT and use a Power strip or spare outlet directly for the 24v PSU

#4 Peter Van Der Walt, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    sharmstr likes this.
  5. Judehey

Judehey New
    Builder

Thanks, that sounds likely. I'll check it next time I'm at the shop.