Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help Needed CAM

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Carlos Urquidi, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Carlos Urquidi

Builder

Hey, by now I just realized Openbuilds CAM is not what I expected (maybe I am inexperienced) I have the lead 1010 and the signmaker Sharkbits. But honestly I cant get anything done other than the hello world example.

I assume I need better CAM software. Where to go from here? What CAM software are you guys ussing or recommend?

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Depends on what you want to do and there are multiple options. For me, and a bunch of others around here, I use both Fusion 360 and VCarve.

docs:software:cam [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Fusion 360 is great for modeling and cutting out 3d parts. Vectric is better suited for sign making.

3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

VCarve desktop is what I use for signs and 3D carved objects. For creating flat parts (2.5D) I use Fusion360, which is free. I started out using Fusion 360, and got proficient at it, but once I made my lathe, I knew I needed a simple way of carving 3D .STL files and Vcarve makes is so very easy. VCarve can do all of what I mentioned, there are great tutorials from both the company and others on Youtube, and if you think you want to upgrade later, the cost of the upgrade is only the difference in price between Desktop and whatever you want to move up to. I have yet to find a reason to upgrade because I rarely need to cut anything larger than 24X24". If I do, I can use tool path tiling. VCarve Desktop v11 and https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/personal

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

In OpenBuilds CAM:
    - load a valid drawing
    - select entities and add them to appropriate new toolpaths
    - generate gcode

Where do you get stuck?

5. Carlos Urquidi

Builder

All right that seems nice! I have decades of experience with Adobe illustrator so thats what I use for all my 2D. I think It will be no problem integrating it to VCarve

6. Carlos Urquidi

Builder

select entities? Do you mean select a Vector? or a tool path? I call them that from my Adobe illustrator experience.
    Where do you get stuck? I don't know how to select bits, which to use, how does the software knows which bit I am using.
    For detailed work, (look at my logo), small type is out of the question because I am using a Carbide 1/8" Downcut Flute and I know I can't cut anything smaller than that 1/8" of a inch bit
    Do I make myself clear?
    I am really confused.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Select vectors / parts on screen with the mouse. Click the green Add > New toolpath button. Toolpath options pops up where you tell it all it needs to know

8. Carlos Urquidi

Builder

I'll try that, thank you

9. Carlos Urquidi

Builder

Yes I did that yesterday, let's see how I do with a larger image no so detailed work

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Use Vectors for best performance