Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help! I traded for this old 3d printer and know nothing about it!

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Willow D'Arcy, Jan 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Willow D'Arcy

Builder

So I traded a piece of art for this openbuilds 3d printer. I'm pretty sure the person who traded it was dishonest about where it came from, and she didn't know anything about it either regardless, so I didn't care, I figured I could try to get it workeing or not. I think someone from my grad school program made it. I don't know if it even has all its parts. I think it's kinda old, like no newer than 2012. I was going to try to figure it out and see if it worked but now it's just taking up space. What could I get for this thing? 20210103_192410.jpg 20210103_192403.jpg 20210103_192407.jpg

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

In 2012, that would have been worth about $1000. That is a piece of history. That is what they looked like back when I dreamed of owning one but couldn't justify the cost. Now, you can buy a decent 3D printer for well under $200. Where in Oregon are you? Near the Portland area?

3. Willow D'Arcy

Builder

Hi, yes I'm in Portland. That explains a lot! And it makes me feel better, like the person who traded it to me was maybe telling me the truth after all to the best of her understanding. I got some info on Reddit that it's probably a Delta Build MOST variant, whatever that means? So it might be slightly newer than I thought. Like from 2014 or 2016? I'm not sure. I looked up the motherboard which has a website on it. It's a Melzi Ardentissimo: Reprap.org/wiki/melzi

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Does it work at all? It is a Delta. I wonder if you selected a generic Delta printer in Cura if you could get it working?

5. Willow D'Arcy

Builder

I have no idea. It's super dusty. I feel like it would take me a couple days of work just to wrap my brain around how this stuff works and another couple days to try getting it working. If it's not worth much, I don't think that time is worth it.

6. roses

roses New
    Builder

In terms of wrapping your brain around it, the three main pieces are a) the electronics (power supply, wires, circuit boards, etc. ) b) the mechanical hardware (gears, belts, pulleys) and c) the software that you can use to make the printer do something.

A good first step would be tracking down what is the best software to use so that you can 'print' something on it (just move the printer head around in a circle or square). Some of the active folks on this forum might be able to provide more information on that. But your best bet may be to get in touch with the person from your grad school who built it, and ask them what software to use (or if they want to buy it from you :) ).

7. Willow D'Arcy

Builder

The person I got it from can't or won't put me in touch with the person who built it, who obviously isn't going to buy it from me because they got rid of it lol. It's a confusing situation that may include some amount of deception, I'm not sure, but there's no way to do that.

I was able to look up the software for the motherboard so that's encouraging. I don't see any way to connect it to my computer though so I wonder if it's missing a part.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

MiniUSB right next to the SD card. Run Pronterface, its probably running an old build of Marlin.

Consider keeping the hardware and replacing the controller. Melzis are very underpowered

9. Willow D'Arcy

Builder

Hmmm. I'll look at it. I'm not replacing anything. The only reason I am even considering trying to make it work is so that I can sell it for working parts and get any money for it. I'm starting to think I should just gift it to a friend of mine lol.

10. Lyle Landstrom

Builder

I had a GIVI Tech 1 3D printer given to me because the guy knew I was going to use it. Another guy was pestering the guy who had it to give it to him so he could put it in his 3D printer collection. Apparently, this guy has never printed anything. The same guy who gave me the 3D printer sold me an openbuilds cnc router for $100 which is why I'm on this forum. The printer was pretty easy to figure out. It took me about another week to figure out the router but mostly because of driver problems. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

11. Willow D'Arcy

Builder

Oh I know I can. I just have a full plate right now and don't want to. :) I an trying to empty my possessions into storage so I can sell my house and I don't really have room for it or time to deal with it. I'm really trying to pick my battles wisely right now.

Lyle Landstrom likes this.