Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help..! GRBL / Machine settings conflict

Discussion in 'CAM' started by Ed Zacly, Nov 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ed Zacly

Ed Zacly New
    Builder

RE: Machine Type: Ox Metal CNC / Machine dimensions from rail to rail are: X=946.15 Y= 1492.25 / Z 54.992 XPro Board

Greetings,

I am hopping that someone can assist with this issue.. I have a job stuck on my machine..I have what I think is GRBL / Machine settings Conflict of some sort...
    I would appreciate any help, suggestions.. -Ed

G Code File Attached

Issue: The Spindle stops 88% of the way through the file as indicated by the red circle.

upload_2018-11-14_11-9-49.png upload_2018-11-14_11-10-5.png

Running two step pass:

• First pass to clear using a .25 End Mill
    • Second pass using 1.25 end mill to finish

When I execute the file on the first pass using a .25 End Mill to clear it completes 88% of the file it went to line 1198 out of 1349 and then it stops a similar event happened when I went to do the second pass it stopped in the same exact position

Looking at the picture you can see that where it stops which is a bit odd giving me Alarm code No. 2 that I got.

ALARM 2 - EXEC_ALARM_SOFT_LIMIT

Soft Limit Error, Either you or a Gcode file tried to send some axis past further than you have suggested it can in your $130, $131 ,$132 parameter

From <GRBL Error Codes – 3DTek>

My Observations (see pictures)

1. X AXIS - The machine stops at a point along the x-axis path that is within the area that it's already processed.
    2. Y AXIS - The machine has already cleared other parts of the y-axis path
    3. Z AXIS - The machine has already cleared other parts of the Z axis

My Initial Actions: Checked all Soft Limits & Limit switches

1. Machine travels in all directions within the soft limits
    2. Machine travels freely within the job limits as what seen on the table.
    3. I checked all of my soft limits and they are working properly at no point do any the limit switches become engaged when I jog the machine to all of its soft limits Checked: Y @ 1199.988 mm / X @ 794.991 / Z@ 54.992

Comment: The only thing new here is that I have never machined at this end of the active area most of my Machining takes place on the left side.... but again this should not be a issue because this is well within the active area /envelope and not close to any limits.

Below Large View, the piece is 4inches x 24 inches and is sitting in a larger Jig

upload_2018-11-14_11-12-3.png

Below: the point that it stopped at 88% of the way of file

upload_2018-11-14_11-12-21.png

Below: GRBL Panel at time of event

upload_2018-11-14_11-12-37.png

Machine Type: Ox Metal CNC Machine dimensions from rail to rail are: X=946.15 Y= 1492.25

XPro Board

GRBL settings

**** Connected to COM3 @ 115200 baud ****

$0=10

Step pulse, microseconds

$1=255 Step idle delay, milliseconds
    $2=0 Step port invert, mask
    $3=5 Direction port invert, mask
    $4=1 Step enable invert, boolean
    $5=0 Limit pins invert, boolean
    $6=0 Probe pin invert, boolean
    $10=1 Status report, mask
    $11=0.020 Junction deviation, mm
    $12=0.002 Arc tolerance, mm
    $13=0 Report inches, boolean
    $20=1 Soft limits, boolean
    $21=1 Hard limits, boolean
    $22=1 Homing cycle, boolean
    $23=0 Homing dir invert, mask
    $24=25.000 Homing feed, mm/min
    $25=1500.000 Homing seek, mm/min
    $26=250 Homing debounce, milliseconds
    $27=6.350 Homing pull-off, mm
    $30=13000 Max spindle speed, RPM
    $31=500 Min spindle speed, RPM
    $32=0 Laser mode, boolean
    $100=197.938 X steps/mm
    $101=200.200 Y steps/mm
    $102=199.400 Z steps/mm
    $110=2500.000 X Max rate, mm/min
    $111=2500.000 Y Max rate, mm/min
    $112=2500.000 Z Max rate, mm/min
    $120=50.000 X Acceleration, mm/sec^2
    $121=50.000 Y Acceleration, mm/sec^2
    $122=50.000 Z Acceleration, mm/sec^2
    $130=795.000 X Max travel, mm
    $131=1200.000 Y Max travel, mm
    $132=55.000 Z Max travel, mm

ok

Attached Files:

#1 Ed Zacly, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  2. CNCMD

CNCMD Journeyman
    Builder

You have soft limits enabled. More than likely your max travel on one of the axis is more than what is listed above, more than likely the Z.

I can't see your full machine, but I will guess that you prpbably have more than 55mm/2" of travel. The machine knows its exceeding the 55mm of travel from the 0(home) position.

Change you parameter for $132 to something higher, clearly based on the full travel of that axis.

***Edit*** - I looked at the file. It does not appear to be an issue with the Z since it is all at one depth. As a Test, just disable soft limits, and run again.

#2 CNCMD, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  3. Ed Zacly

Ed Zacly New
    Builder

Greetings CNCMD & Thanks for responding,

You're right it was a soft limits issue on the X axis .... what was throwing me off was that the spindle (see in the first pic) is far from the end of the Gantry ...that's where it stopped.

As you indicated the alarm kicks in when the programmed value or distance in the line command exceeds the programmed soft limit value .. regardless of what that value is ....The fault in my reasoning was that (hypothetically) I was expecting it to travel 12 mm out of the 15 mm programed and then stop at the soft limit value..near the end of the gantry just prior to hitting the limit switch... well ...apparently if it cant execute the line command in full it stops... simple, effective and safe..

It took awhile for my small brain to connect the dots....while I get the basic concepts some of the larger context issues escape me from time to time...I built this piece of equipment and the computer along with all the connecting cables without any knowledge base or skill sets whatsoever other than what I got here on openbuilds... for the electronics I got quite a bit of help from Joe Santarsiero he was a great help... On that note I am grateful for all the support and help that I have received here on Open builds.

Thanks for your input CNCMD

BTW: Saw your Sphinx 1000 x 500 build ... nice.... I am using mine for reproduction vintage signs and personalized products, my next project will be to integrate a tool changer; Automatic Tool Changer for HF500 Spindle

I have had some conversations with Stepcraft and it appears to be feasible...

4. CNCMD

CNCMD Journeyman
    Builder

You're very welcome. I would like to add something that I am not entirely sure of, but some controllers are able to "look forward", meaning if it sees that you will in say the next 20 lines hit a limit for the axis it will stop.

Check out my HD Build, you might enjoy that even more.

There are many options out there for ATC Spindles. Stepcraft isn't your only choice. Automatic Tool Changing Systems CNC CAT

5. Ed Zacly

Ed Zacly New
    Builder

Currently I am using the XPRO board, which has been flawless,

I recall reading about being able to check for G code conflicts somewhere...... It would be nice to run a simulation via the GRBL panel (after you're calibrated) that would look for all the conflicts.within a file.. super fast without having to run it in real time... however even being a bit of a nube I haven't had any issues with crashing things, well... not after I got it all calibrated... conversely it would be nice to check thousands of line of code and not have to worry.... particularly when / if you are running at the limit of your cutting area....I have a habit of maxing things out... that's why I started with a small spindle...

Thanks for the link I will check out CNN CAT... with Stepcraft I was at about $1,200 USD Spindle, tool changer & electronics, I was planning to integrate it and then move to a Heavy duty set up with a larger 4 x 4 envelope, I would then use my current light duty OX Metal build for laser

HD CNC..... impressive... that is quite the monster you have got there... bet the lights dim in the neighborhood when you power up...

I will have to take my small spindle and leave now.

Regards,

Ed Zac

CNCMD likes this.
  6. CNCMD

CNCMD Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks, currently only running a 800watt spindle so the neighbors are fine....lol...