Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help choosing a linear motion system

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by AlphaBeta, Mar 11, 2023.

1. AlphaBeta

AlphaBeta New
    Builder

I'm interested in designing a pick and place system. I'm very new to the mechanical side of robotics, but I've been doing online research for the past week and was looking for a few pointers.

Specs:
    Working area: X (1 motors) - Y (2 motor): ~ 1.83m x 1.5m
    Precision required: 0.2mm
    Payload for X dimension: ~5kg
    Desired velocity for X dimension: 150mm/s

The Y-dimension seems like it can be driven well by a 1.5m lead screw. However, I was having trouble figuring out a solution for the X-dimension.

1) Belt drive. The accuracy of a belt drive system seems too low (.5mm error regardless of distance https://openbuilds.com/uploadfiles/Part Specs/OpenBuilds® Actuator Tests_V2.pdf).

2) Lead screw. A 1.83m T8x8 lead screw runs into a critical speed of 319 rpm (factor of safety=2, end fixity=fixed-fixed), which is ~43mm/sec, which is well below the desired velocity.

3) Belt and pinion system. The accuracy of this system seems worse than the belt drive system (.6mm error).

Questions:
    A) Which of the three linear motion systems seems best for my application?

B) Choosing a 1/2"-8 8:1 lead screw gets the velocity at the critical rpm to 218mm/s. However, I wouldn't be able to use the openbuilds thrust bearing, motor plate, etc. If I want to use openbuilds parts, am I stuck with a very slow motor or is there a solution that I'm missing?

C) One crazy idea I had was to use 2 stacked motors, C-beams, and gantry carts to essentially combine the motion of 2 smaller lead screws into effectively a larger one with way less screw whip. Is that a reasonable idea?

Thanks!