Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Height map / auto leveling feature?

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Bferster, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Bferster

Bferster Well-Known
    Builder

Any plans to add a height map to smooth out uneven z axis surfaces like Candle does?
    Control is so much easier to use and capable than Candle, except for that one feature

Timothy Fox likes this.
  2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Bferster

Bferster Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks. Can you point me to where I can find out about those fixturing methods? I’m doing marquetry, so I need pretty precise z control. Not as bad as pcb work,though

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Mostly involves making sure to surface stock using the Surfacing Wizard under Wizards and tools when you need it to be flat (cuts into it will be on the same depth relative as the machine set the flat datum), and then mounting stock using methods that does not cause bowing (like sideways clamps would be bad, glue-and-tape would be better: docs:tips:ca-glue [OpenBuilds Documentation])

Alex Chambers and Bferster like this.
  5. Leon Apicella

Builder

Adding a height map to smooth out uneven z axis surfaces like Candle does would be a great feature and I was hoping you would add this to what I believe to be a great controller. Was hoping the latest update included this but sadly not.

6. Carl Rocco

Builder

One thing I've done is to first make the height map in Candle. Candle modifies the Z heights (or adds them when not there) in the GCODE. You can then save (copy/paste) that modified code and run it in Openbuilds.

7. Bferster

Bferster Well-Known
    Builder

My spoil board is perfectly flat and level, but when I want to inlay onto an old box or furniture, that surface jumps up to 1mm In places,and I’m only milling.4mm, so I have to use the laser, which is too Smokey.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

When working on antiques or things you cannot surface, design inlays to be cut with straight bits. No V-bit or tapers.