Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Headless Raspberry Pi Control server

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by gthiesfeld, Dec 29, 2020.

1. gthiesfeld

Builder

I'm kicking this idea around because my USB cable isn't long enough to reach from the Black Box controller to my laptop, and I have a spare Pi.

I've read through the forums and the Github wiki page, and understand raspberry pi isn't officially supported. I see people are using it, but I think my setup may be a little different. I want to run the node.js backend server portion of Control on a Raspberry pi, and the chromium app portion on my windows laptop. I installed openbuilds-control on the pi using the included script and wiki instructions. I then configured node.js as a daemon. I installed chromium on my windows laptop, and configured a shortcut pointing to chrome.exe --app="http://[raspbery_pi_ip]:3000/". That all seems to work fine.

Next step is to plug the pi into the blackbox and connect, etc. My CNC machine is currently torn apart, so I can't do much more than that until I can get it up and running. I guess I'm posting this here to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious, or if this idea raises any red flags with the folks who understand the code better.

Thanks

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. gthiesfeld

Builder

I guess that part was a bit of overkill, but I like that it still looks like the normal Control app, vs another browser tab. :)

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

Peter, for some reasons the link doesn't work for me. Is it the correct spelling?

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

http://ip-of-device-running-control:3000/ ? - read that again (; in the context above (keeping in mind the forum turns text like that into a link. don't click it, read it)

6. gthiesfeld

Builder

That's not a real link, the forum automatically converts it to one. The middle part needs to be replaced with the IP address of the machine running Control. The raspberry pi in my case.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.