Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Grouping Machining Operations

Discussion in 'CAM' started by Albert64, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Albert64

Albert64 Well-Known
    Builder

Not sure if I am framing this question correctly on sending the g-code files for machining operations.

Historically - I created a single machine operation per line - run the op, then wait until complete before sending the next machine operation. Most of my past designs required at least 10 hours of non-stop run time with a minimum of 90 individual machining operations. The length of time was increased because the old machine required multiple passes to reach the final depth of cut.

Is there a more efficient method? Can I send multiple machine operations to execute in succession? If I send a group of machining operations, can I control the order in how lines are cut/engraved etc.?
    Since my designs are complex - I am looking for a more efficient method.

Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Albert

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Yes, there are much more efficient ways of doing it using cad/cam software to create the g-code for you. What is your control set up? - electronics to control the machine and the software you are using to send the g-code to the machine?
    Alex.

3. Albert64

Albert64 Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks Alex,
    I am using CamBam to edit design and generate the g-code. The electronics will be the OpenBuilds BlackBox and the OpenBuildsControl/Interface.
    I have never used this setup. Seems straight forward and easy to use.

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Sorry, not familiar with CamBam. My initial reading of your post made me think you were creating the g-code manually (line by line) so apologies for that:oops:.
    A bit more detail please - are you wanting to combine more than one toolpath into a single g-code file? If so, and they involve more than one tool you will need to pause for a tool change between each operation.
    There are bound to be people here who know CamBam and can advise you better, but I'll have another look at this thread tomorow (bedtime here in the UK)
    Alex.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

CamBam has kind of lost support the last couple years, userbase quite small these days, so less and less people who can assist around.

See docs:software:overview [OpenBuilds Documentation] for some more modern suggestions, lots of more current videos, post processors, docs, etc and with more regular users and advisors around here if you do get stuck

6. Albert64

Albert64 Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for the input - I will review the other available options.
    Once this machine is up and operational - I will test the output from Cambam and share the results.

7. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

your message is ambigious...
    I am going to assume that "I created a single machine operation per line" means 'a gcode file per tool or operation'
    I am also going to interpret you to mean that you were using some sort of GUI and not writing your own interface to a GRBL controller. (progamming a sender is a whole 'nother ball game)
    All the modern GRBL interfaces like OpenbuildsCONTROL already use the most efficient methods for feeding individual lines of Gcode to the machine controller.

GRBL (the software inside the BlackBox) does not handle toolchanges by itself so we end up with a file per tool which we then have to load and send after doing the tool change.

If you have multiple files that all use the same tool you can simply join them together in a text editor (in the right order!) so you can send just the one file so the machine does not sit waiting for you to notice the end of an operation.
    When you join files like this, search for and remove all but the last M30.
    Of course this does assume that they all use the same tool and same origin.
    Also, if you do this, you need to simulate in something like CAMotics before running the machine and make sure there are no crash moves caused by your editing.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  8. Albert64

Albert64 Well-Known
    Builder

Apologize for the ambiguity - my workflow with my previous machine, Shapeoko, used AutoCAD to recreate design, output the dxf file to CamBam - edit design and set feeds/speeds/depth of cut etc. no tool changes with most designs - used CamBam to generate the g-code and used Universal g-code Sender to operate the CNC.

I have attached an example of a design for reference, engraved in wood, Birch.
    Aztec Alter 6 cropped.jpg
    I would generate g-code for each single element of this design (a single machining operation). I encountered difficulty when I attempted to select multiple elements to generate the g-code for this design. I would review the g-code before sending and notice the g-code would make a couple passes on one element to reach the depth of cut and move to another element before reaching the final depth of cut on the first element. Much time of the machine is wasted moving back and forth to complete each element to its final depth of cut.
    However, there were times when the g-code would start with one element, complete all passes to its final depth of cut and move on to the next element. My experience with this CAD/CAM workflow showed I could only select two elements at a time - for whatever reason, if I selected more than two elements - the g-code was not very efficient.
    Therefore - I chose to work with what I had at this time and generate a single g-code file per element and send each file one at a time. The attached project, 30" x 30", required about 9 hours straight of machine time. The small 0.125 diameter end mill did not allow for large depths of cut in a single pass.

Thanks for the tip about CAMotics - If I understand your reply correctly - I can generate the g-code for each element - then using notepad - I can copy and paste the g-code for each element in succession into a single file? I will probably start with only two elements and work my way up when confidence improves.
    Thanks - I did not think of trying that.
    Regards,

Alex Chambers likes this.
  9. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Most modern CAMs (even the free OpenBuilds CAM Gcode Creator - Public Beta) has Select All/multiple that works. Try it, change of habits can be good for you

10. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

I would use Sketchup and SketchUcam (of course, but then I am the maintainer ).
    It may not do the lines in the order you think you want (you can use groups to set the order), but it WILL do each one to depth before moving on (-:
    Or you can get fancy and generate a file per depth of cut (just setting 'material thickness' for each file) and then use the builtin file joiner to join them together.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  11. Albert64

Albert64 Well-Known
    Builder

Just an update -
    I completed the build on the LEAD1515 with the High-Z Mod, and I was able to edit the default post processor in Cambam.

My initial tests using OpenBuilds Control helped me to identify the troublesome g-code causing error: 20 - I created a copy of the default post processor and renamed it OpenBuilds, removed the offending g-code and tooling changes - so far all working as expected.

Also, in the latest release of Cambam - I found an option for Cut Ordering (Depth First), which should resolve my past issues when grouping multiple entities into a single operation.
    I will continue testing and share if I encounter anything significant.

I will also look into the alternatives suggested - I find that many CAM software packages have issues with open polylines, or as VCarve Pro calls it - "Unsuitable Open Vectors". Every design I re-create is 99% open polylines and my next project is complex.
    Thanks for the tips offered - I have written them into my notebook for future reference