Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

GridBot Two

Discussion in '3D printers' started by SOA, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Oliver Ferschke

Builder

That is great. I actually played with Kiri:Moto some time earlier today and also linked it in onshape. I really liked it. Great to hear that it will also allow me to do the part conversions. I'm looking forward to try it.

2. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

If you haven't checked out this thread documenting a GridBot v2 build, I highly recommend it.

You may need to set an offset for the kerf in your exported SVGs. If so, the commercial vendors will tell you a good value. Kiri:Moto lets you set that and calculates the SVG offset accordingly.

A video of Kiri's Laser mode in Onshape. You will see the "offset" under "slicing" set to 0.08 (mm), which is good for my Glowforge.

3. Oliver Ferschke

Builder

Excellent, thank you. And yes, I saw the thread you mentioned last night. Really helpful. Also signed up on GridSpace Forums.

4. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks! Please document your build there, if you are at all inclined to do so :)

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. Mandrak4

Mandrak4 New
    Builder

Hi, how do i get to the web interface? When i put the PI IP a nginx message appear

#65 Mandrak4, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  6. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

the interface runs on port 4080, not port 80

7. Mandrak4

Mandrak4 New
    Builder

Thank you so much!!! That worked. I have 2 more questions, sorry, i know that is a lot, but i’m really a starter in this world...
    1) how do i visualize the câmera on web surface?
    2) How do i upload a archive to the machine physically? Via pendrive on raspberry?

8. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

1. there should be a camera tab. it shows whatever is on a raspberry cam. if you have a usb cam, we need to discuss.
    2. drag/drop files onto the file list on the file tab. or, if you use Kiri:Moto, enable GridLocal under preferences and the printer will show up automatically on print export.

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 7.17.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 7.18.09 PM.png

9. Mandrak4

Mandrak4 New
    Builder

Y
    yes, i do have a usb câmera, but no problem, i Will replace by a raspberry cam, thanks. There is no way to transfer files from a pendrive or SD card to the Printer directly?

10. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

Nope. But it's trivial to add if that's the way you want to do it instead of using the network.

Leonardo Costa likes this.
  11. Mandrak4

Mandrak4 New
    Builder

Just out of curiosity, once again thanks!

Leonardo Costa likes this.
  12. Oldsam

Oldsam New
    Builder

Hi guys! Great job, SOA!
    I am going to join your club, placed some orders for mechanical parts today.
    I wonder if one really needs 7 inch touchscreen for this build. It consumes a significant part of BOM cost. Is it reasonable to save some money and go or a smaller touchscreen?
    And... currenly I am running my printer via Octoprint installed on a Ubuntu server. Is there any chance that your grid-bot sotware will run on a basic Ubuntu computer?
    P.S. I understand that I can use Octoprint and not grid-bot interface, but I guess I need some tools to control the firmware settings and not sure if it is possible from stock Octoprint. Should I look for the 3-rd party plugins for the Octopring to control accelerations, etc?

13. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

Hey, Oldsam. You don't really need a touch screen at all. You can access the entire print interface using a web browser. In fact, you can just use Octoprint instead if that's your current workflow. The printer runs stock Marlin.

14. Oldsam

Oldsam New
    Builder

Many thanks for your answer)
    But what about the fine tuning of the printer - like setting bed cover thickness, acelerations, jerk, bla-bla-blah? I have quite a lot of menus on the printer display which do not exist in my Octoprint web interface?

15. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

I usually do that through the GridBot interface. But it's just as easy to send the GCode commands via Octoprint or some other interface that gives you access to the serial port. It's usually a one-time (or seldom) setup.

Maybe ask the forum members what they've done with their setups: GridBot Forum

16. Oldsam

Oldsam New
    Builder

Obviously, the less devices I have the better they work)) Would be nice to keep it simple. Ok, I still have a lot of time to sort this... Thanks for advice!

17. samski09

samski09 New
    Builder

hey SOA :) build looks super rad !!! excuse my noobsness. super new to 3d printing but thinking I want to build one . so It looks like I wouldn't be able to build this one because I have no access to a laser or a 3d printer. would there be a way to just buy these parts that your making or would it be worth my time to buy a complete lower end printer so I can make the brackets and mounts for the bad *** printer ?? thanks bunch!!

18. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

hi @samski09 glad you like it. I think if you're new to 3d printing, it's best to start out with a stock printer of some sort. the approach you're suggesting has been taken by several other GridBot builders.

19. VetteNoob

VetteNoob New
    Builder

First post. I have a generic minimill that has yet to see action but here's my start. I got these (12 pieces) free at work since they were scraps. May have to modify just a little since these are 8020 extrusions and measure 25mm instead of 20mm. The shortest strip is still over 20" in length so I will probably cut the rest down to the shortest piece and build from there.

Attached Files:

20. VetteNoob

VetteNoob New
    Builder

SOA, I combined the corner pieces and adjusted them for 8020 to 3D print instead of mill. Do you think at 4mm thick, printed with 1.5mm walls @50% infill will be sturdy enough?
    upload_2021-1-13_8-10-18.png

21. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

The rigidity of the frame comes from the angle braces inside the corners. These corner covers are functional on the top of the printer (holding idlers, providing stop points), but are decorative on the sides. They are not intended to be the primary means of creating rigidity in the XY plane. So when you print them, please do it at 100% and with the face that would be "up" facing the printer bed surface. This will give them maximum strength in the XY which is needed to hold the idlers in place.

VetteNoob likes this.
  22. Tony_Sexton

Builder

Hello! Someone tell me. I started to collect GridBot 2, but the table is turned over in the model, why is that? How to flip?

Attached Files:

23. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

I don't think you can flip it since the program doesn't allow for alterations to the design but just don't worry about it. When you'll bild it just build it with the bed flipped to the model. It will work a charm.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  24. Tony_Sexton

Builder

Thank you very much, I'll take a look. And another question, you can't buy SKR 1.3 boards anymore. Bought SKR 1.4 Turbo. Are there any differences in build and firmware?
    Tell me, Hotend 12 or 24 volts?

#84 Tony_Sexton, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  25. VetteNoob

VetteNoob New
    Builder

26. VetteNoob

VetteNoob New
    Builder

Progress pic. Decided to change up the Z axis to dual steppers since I like how ABL can account for a little bit of Z leveling and possible weight issues. Since I think I should be able to use a bed somewhere around 350mm. If it doesn't work, I can always go back to the single stepper and belt setup. The 3D printed parts have already been converted to 2525 spacing.
    gridbot.jpg
    upload_2021-7-11_19-54-28.png

27. VetteNoob

VetteNoob New
    Builder

Plans continue to change. I decided to try 3 Z steppers so I can use Auto Bed Align. Here's what we look like so far. The front steppers will also have 10mm linear rods as a guide/stability.

Attached Files:

28. Philippe Jadin

Builder

Hello this quick message to tell that this printer looks really great! After evaluating other options, I'm quite sure I'll build one.

Just one very important stuff : link to the active forum in the openbuilds description : GridBot

The sentence that syas :
    CAD model here. Software stack here. Preferred slicer here. Forum here

Very important for the uture of the project is to have quick access to this forum imvho :)

Thank you for the hard work.

You might also want to post the printer to some other websites, like thingiverse and the like.

29. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for the suggestion. I can always post this information on grid.space -- but thought it would be better in a community setting where it is more likely to be discovered.

Mark Carew likes this.
  30. Will_I_am344

Builder

Hi. First time builder and loving this design. As a newbie however, I feel a bit overwhelmed about starting the build. Are there are any helpful tips / general directions for the assembly that you could provide? Best wishes