Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

GridBot Two

Discussion in '3D printers' started by SOA, Jan 26, 2020.

1. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

2. Bobo Ross

Bobo Ross New
    Builder

Hi noob here, The BOM did not mention a raspberry PI, only of the Pi touchscreen. Do i need to connect the SKR V1.3 to the touch screen display? And how do i put the code from the github page into the final product. Is there any place that has a detailed guide on building the gridbot 2

3. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

the PI is in the CAD model mounted to the back of the screen, but perhaps not the BOM. Any version 3 or 4 will work. The PI connects to the SKR via a 5 ft USB cable which is readily available on Amazon. The GridBot github page has a one-liner that you run on top of a raspbian distribution. So getting the PI booted to that point is not documented. I know of one person blogging a build of a GridBot V2 here. I have not worked up a detailed step-by-step guide. if you're not relatively familiar with 3D printer builds, it could be daunting.

4. Bobo Ross

Bobo Ross New
    Builder

thanks for the quick reply.

Another question i have is about the SKR, i have seen tutorials on how to set it up using marlin 2.0, im assuming i will have to do that setup for it to work with the pi in this build?

the usb cable to connect the pi to the skr is it a usb type A to usb type B connector?
    something like this perhaps? : https://www.amazon.ca/CableCreation...ocphy=9001375&hvtargid=pla-720731367272&psc=1

ill have more questions in the upcoming days, as im currently in the process of building a bunch of these printers, and yep, first time building a 3d printer but i have an electronics background

5. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

this USB cable will work. also, the marlin config I used is here in the GitHub project for the GridBot software.

6. Bobo Ross

Bobo Ross New
    Builder

i noticed the BOM listed a camera mount? What kind of camera is mounted here, and what would the camera do in operation

7. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

I put the Raspberry Pi NoIR camera on most printers. And I'm about to try out this one. The camera provides a live view and also takes pictures at every layer of a print that can be converted into a movie.

8. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

when you say a bunch of these printers, do you mean the GridBot Two or just Core XY printers?

9. Bobo Ross

Bobo Ross New
    Builder

GridBot 2, im building 10 of them.

10. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

My advice based on doing a build class is to build one completely before doing the rest. You will learn a lot that makes the other builds go faster with less back-tracking or re-doing of things.

11. Bobo Ross

Bobo Ross New
    Builder

So ive got more questions:

1- What kind of toggle switch do you recommend, and why do you need two of them?

2- for the heated bed, what voltage is to be wired to it? from the build i only see access to 24V and 5V, and if i recall the bed uses 12V.

3- How are the belts secured to the hot head mount? is there some sort of clip i need to buy?

4- how did you power the raspberry Pi and its touch screen? did you plug a usb C and connect the other end to the 5V output on the DCDC converter?

5- what am i supposed to put on top of the heated bed? some sort of sheet?

6- what does the fourth nema 17 stepper do above the spool holder? how do i wire that up to the SKR?

7- is it okay if i 3D print the laser cut parts? i dont have a laser cutter'

Again, i appreciate you sticking around and answering questions

#41 Bobo Ross, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  12. Bobo Ross

Bobo Ross New
    Builder

yeah i plan on building and documenting the first build as much as i can. I have no doubt the build will only get easier

13. Bobo Ross

Bobo Ross New
    Builder

Im having trouble finding the dimensions of each printable part. Is there an easy way for me to get the dimensions? when i try to put them in a slicer it doesn't scale to any particular size, so i would need the dimensions so i can make sure the parts are perfect.

14. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

@Bobo Ross Have you opened the CAD model? you should be able to export any part to scale, open sketches to see dimensions, and click on part faces or edges to get lengths and other dimensions, like offsets.

15. Bobo Ross

Bobo Ross New
    Builder

yeah i used the cad to export the part, it just doesnt seem to keep the scale in the exported file
    not sure what im doing wrong with it. should i me using the view only version or make a copy of the original.

im converting them to stl if that matters, i need the dimensions so i can arrange the part to be printed along with others. the shape of the parts stays the same, i just need to know how much to zoom the part in

16. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

@Bobo Ross I don't know of any case where Onshape changes the dimensions of the part on export. The default for this model is millimeters. But there is a pulldown on export for inches, foot, meters, centimeters, etc.

17. Bobo Ross

Bobo Ross New
    Builder

hmm i did export them in meters could that have been the issue

18. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

yeah, most slicers expect millimeters

19. Bobo Ross

Bobo Ross New
    Builder

rip, i put all the files as meter, dang. ill try it with the millimeter and go from there.
    in the meantime i did put up 7 more questions if you can be so kind haha

20. Bobo Ross

Bobo Ross New
    Builder

ok that was the problem im gonna have to spend time tomorrow re exporting everything lol.

21. Bobo Ross

Bobo Ross New
    Builder

@SOA can you help me with this

22. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

1. end stop? if you want to use them instead of stall detection, i use the optical ones
    2. they wrap around the fins below the head (see CAD), then tiny zip-ties hold them to themselves
    3. up to you. I've used build-tak stickers, anycubic textured tempered glass, and magnetic detachable beds.
    4. it's the extruder stepper. it's connected to the E stepper driver. (vs X, Y, Z for the obvious axes)

23. Bobo Ross

Bobo Ross New
    Builder

im confused, im talking about the 2 power switches you have down near the power supply. I would assume you would only need one switch to turn the machine on, are you saying the second switch controls whether the end stops get power?

24. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

Ah. Are you looking at an old version of the model? I hid / disabled those and do not use them.

25. Bobo Ross

Bobo Ross New
    Builder

oh you're right. Ive been using the updated cad but i didn't notice you removed them. my b

26. Bobo Ross

Bobo Ross New
    Builder

i cant seem to download the marlin config files from git hub. i can view them though. anyway you can make them downloadable

27. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

When you are in the file view, click "raw" then "save" the page ... or just clone the repo to your local disk and you will have all the files.

Attached Files:

28. Bobo Ross

Bobo Ross New
    Builder

ok that worked thanks.

29. Oliver Ferschke

Builder

Great build. Thanks for all the details!
    I've build a few kits in the past and wanted to attempt something a little more custom and challenging now, so I am planning on working off of your build.
    I don't have access to a laser cutter but still want to get those pieces cut instead of printing them all solid.
    I am planning on using an on-demand laser cutting service for that. Is there a way to produce SVGs or similar within onshape? I managed to get the job done by exporting STLs and then exporting SVG in a third party app, but if you know of a better way, I'd appreciate that.

Also, you mentioned you are planning to update this build with automated head swapping and optical end stops. Is this something worth waiting for before I get started with my build or is it rather far out in the future?

Thanks again. Can't wait to get started.

30. SOA

SOA Well-Known
    Builder

Hi, Oliver. I use Kiri:Moto inside Onshape (free in the Onshape App store) to do all my part conversions, whether it be 3D printers, Laser cutter, or CNC mill. It will produce the SVGs you want. And since I'm also the author of Kiri:Moto, you can ask me questions on the GridSpace Forums. I'm in the process of migrating the community over from the Facebook User Group.

Jamboree likes this.