Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Grbl Panel Control

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Mark Carew, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Bruce Fenstermacher

Builder

Thanks Gerrit, will do.

2. NeoMorph

NeoMorph New
    Builder

I started with Algol, basic, cobol, APL, and all sorts of other 70s languages. C++, Dataflex, dBase etc. Problem is when you learn multiple languages is that you end up mixing syntax and the compiler doesn’t like it and then you don’t like it and then your boss doesn’t like it... lol

Oh and I started on an Elliott 803 Programming it with Algol on paper tape.

Anyway, looking forward to version 2... just add a bunch more macros (linked to keyboard so we can make our own hardware panels too).

GerritV likes this.
  3. NeoMorph

NeoMorph New
    Builder

Holy crap... just read that there are only two Elliott 803’s left and only one is working? I think I last used the one at Cannock Technical College back in 1978. In fact I used to be one of the few students able to run it solo. Mind blowing!

GerritV likes this.
  4. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

No one loved the old machines until it was too late. Fixing this was my first job in 1968 (machine is from 1958). Still have the core stack and console panel, really should get it lit up using an Arduino and led's :)

5. NeoMorph

NeoMorph New
    Builder

Sad, really sad. The teletypes that made the paper tapes were air driven so when you turned off the compressor all the keys collapsed into the case.

GerritV likes this.
  6. NeoMorph

NeoMorph New
    Builder

One thing that could really be awesome would be to have a large display screen mode with tabs on the side of the screen with the functions... maybe even select which sides you want the tabs, on maybe all around. Tabs thick enough you can fit a button on the side of the screen linked to a keyboard emulator or just use a touch screen and press them... a bit like this Fanuc screen in the attached shot.

Having a large display area would also let you use smaller monitors as well. Maybe an 8” one so that the controller is all in one unit.

I’d do it myself but I can’t even figure out how to get Visual Basic any more. Damned brain is getting more cells killed every day.

Attached Files:

7. Paul Rothwell

Builder

hi I wonder if you can help me,,i need some info about the controller software for my cnc,,I am a novice so I don't know much,,can you help me with some of your expert advice
    cheers Paul

8. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

What are your questions and what hardware are you using?

9. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

and have you watched the OX Build Part 2 video?

Mark Carew likes this.
  10. Kevin Brewer

Builder

Hi All, can anyone help me out? Following the build video, got to the plug in the control board and connect via grbl panel. I am using a smoothie V1 board, I can talk to the board through USB/serial (check version etc) I can connect via the grbl software (using newest version). It seems to talk to it, but the settings window won't populate, if I press "get grbl settings" nothing happens. I have tried an previous version (one in the software zip) and same result, tried different Baud rate - no joy... any thoughts?

Thanks

11. David the swarfer

12. Kevin Brewer

Builder

Thanks David, OpenBuilds was out of the other controller - and gave me a Smoothie, I didn't realize that the grbl was specific to the controller... I just went with what the build video said, I will use the Smoothie recommended controller SW!

13. NeoMorph

NeoMorph New
    Builder

GRBL is actually Arduino based and the CNC XPro has an Arduino embedded in the board itself along with the four driver chips.

Weird that Openbuilds didn’t tell you the difference. Bit like a shop selling you a computer and you expecting the Mac software to work on it only to find it doesn’t because you have a PC instead.

14. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

I wish that GRBL Panel Control has preview window of the GCODE file.

15. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I have used GRBL Panel almost exclusively on my CNC. I have just dabbled in Estlcam recently. Anyways, this is what I use to preview my files that weren't made in Fusion 360 (which has a built in previewer). g-code simulator

16. mike7

mike7 New
    Builder

i am new on cnc just finish build my c beam,i did test distance xyz ok,iam using grbl panel and aspire v carve
    i try to make jig holder 67mmby122mm pocket cut i have different distance for y 125.3 not the same spec to my drawing any way to fix that!!

thank you

17. David the swarfer

18. Jesse Mccabe

Builder

my settings window is blank i have checked device manager and the com number matches

19. CNCMD

CNCMD Journeyman
    Builder

Interesting observation regarding grbl panel. I have noticed that when making very small moves, .01mm, the DRO will change but the machine doesn't move. I was really thinking this was my machine and something was wrong.

Tonight I tried UGS and did the same thing and low and behold that machine would move exactly .01mm each and everytime. I have no clue what in grbl panel controls that.

20. David the swarfer

it does depend on the machine resolution, and probably other stuff too.
    for example my belt drive Ox has a resolution of 0.025mm per step on X and Y. so commanding a 0.01mm move is pointless, but the controller will accumulate such small moves and eventually command an actual step.
    one day I will do some testing to see if one can actually see/feel a 0.025mm step in the cut (-:

21. CNCMD

CNCMD Journeyman
    Builder

I think you're missing my point. It is possible using ugs, but not with grbl panel.

22. Quiglag

Quiglag New
    Builder

What is the correct way to separate commands in a macro? A semicolon doesn't work. I tried putting each command on a separate line (and this works), but only 10 or 12 lines are being processed. My XYZ Probe macro has 15 or so commands.

23. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Hi guys:

Just a note, there is a new version of GRBL Panel posted up, .18.

Now for the bad news... Gerrit Visser is hanging up his spurs, and not supporting or advancing GRBL Panel anymore.

This is a dissapointing development, I really like GRBL Panel and have been using it for years.

He did offer to transfer control of development to a new person, so if you could take this on or know someone who might, please contact Gerrit and save this program from the scrap heap.

MG

Mark Carew likes this.
  24. CNCMD

CNCMD Journeyman
    Builder

Any luck in getting .18 running. I can't even open the .exe on two separate computers.

25. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Yeah, you are right, it won't run for me either...

MG

26. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Was the machine actually moving using UGS, or just the display updating? There is no way you can see a movement of .01mm with the naked eye... that's only 4 ten-thousandths of an inch... It may be that the display updates by .01, but the machine doesn't actually move until you accumulate 1 step on the motor, as DTS said... It may be that UGS and GP handle the display differently, UGS updates the display every .01, but GP only updates it when it actually takes a step...

Try moving it a hundred .01 increments and see if you can see that... that would be a full mm.

Is this a belt or screw drive machine? With belt, your resolution is likely about .017mm/step (56 steps/mm) with 1/8th microstepping, but with a screw drive machine the rez is probably closer to .005. That would be 200 steps/mm.

MG

27. CNCMD

CNCMD Journeyman
    Builder

I got it to work, there are 2 files that are missing. I'm not home at the minute but one is the config and one is a button file.

The machine is a ballscrew drive machine. The results of whether of not the machine moved is based on using a Haimer 3d Sensor, so I am not trying to do this at all by eye.

I've tried so many different things and there is no real explanation.

28. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Where did you find the missing files?

MG

29. CNCMD

CNCMD Journeyman
    Builder

I took them from the .17 files that I had. Not saying its right, but I was able to get it to open in the interim.

30. CNCMD

CNCMD Journeyman
    Builder

I spoke with Gerrit and he put a a new zip today with the missing files. I will be trying this later today.