Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Grbl Panel Control

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Mark Carew, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Michael Dwyer

Builder

Will GRBL Panel run on a Raspberry Pi 3. I know it is vb.NET based, but apparently this is not a problem for linux anymore. Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Michael

flintiii likes this.
  2. flintiii

flintiii New
    Builder

Greetings Michael,

Since no one has pinged your post, I thought to mention that I have written a very crude control program in VisualBash called "ctob.sh". It is available here:
    http://docbox.flint.com:8081/3Dprint#ctob.sh
    It is by no means complete, I am seeking an alternative, but this will drive your table.

3. phil from seattle

phil from seattle Journeyman
    Builder

I too would love to see GP on a RaspPI but kind of doubt we'll see it anytime soon.

As an alternative, try bCNC, It seems to run fairly well on a Pi 3. I have it running on a Pi Top Ceed with the idea of making it a console for my CBeam. Having trouble getting an xbox controller pad to work with it (well actually, getting it installed) and need more familiarity with bCNC. The CEED makes a nice package. Need to get wifi to my shop and figure out a mount for the CEED.
    [​IMG]

4. Michael Dwyer

Builder

I decided to try CNCjs for the Raspberry Pi despite my reservations about a web based control program. It is all loaded on mine, but I haven't tried it with the Mini Mill and xPro board yet. I'll keep this updated with the progress.

In the meantime, I've also noticed that Microsoft has a version of Windows 10 called Windows IoT, which is designed for the Raspberry Pi. I am going to also try Windows IoT as the operating system for my Raspberry Pi and see if GRBL panel plays nicely with it. This could be the solution for GRBL on a Raspberry Pi.

5. Michael Dwyer

Builder

So, it appears as if Windows IoT is not what I thought it was. Loading third party software or any software for that matter does not seem to be possible. It appears to be an operating system solely for development of Visual Studio apps. With that in mind, I was hoping to load Visual Studio and import the original code of GRBL Panel. As much as I have been impressed with Windows 10, installing Visual Studio as part of Windows IoT like intended, proved to be a big fail. I haven't said it in a long time, but it appears the Gates' gremlins bit again.

6. Janofx

Janofx New
    Builder

Hi I have a problem with setting x0y0z0. When I set it manually I see that girl panel shows me that x is -156 bad y is 87 . How can I change it ?
    It could be because I bought plate maker made of 20x40 instead of 20x60

7. blindflight

blindflight Well-Known
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Lost grbl settings , when I bring up grbl panel I have no grbl settings. Have used the " $$ " nothing, have tried "get grbl settings" nothing. I am using the CNC Pro board V2. all worked 2 days ago, now nothing. What need to be done.
    Thanks

8. NeoMorph

NeoMorph New
    Builder

Did you accidentally change the bitrate of the connection? I did that one time and it confused me for a bit.

9. phil from seattle

Builder

I assume you mean when you click on the Settings tab in GRBL-panel there are no settings displayed. Generally that situation means GRBL-panel has no connection to the grbl host. Check port settings in GRBL-panel, wiring, usb cable, baud rate (as was suggested). power to the CNC Pro board,

10. blindflight

blindflight Well-Known

Thanks Phil,
    Have replaced usb cable, all lights on board, com port set as before, baud rate same, power all good.. Have had this happen before and sent board back to vendor.

11. phil from seattle

Builder

Are you set up to load a new copy of grbl? I'd give that a try before sending it back.

12. blindflight

blindflight Well-Known

I would but , I do not know how to...

13. RussB

RussB New
    Builder

If this is Windows... open device manager and look at the 'ports' section. With the controller plugged... unplug is and ensure that windows is actually "seeing" it. Also note the port number its on. As silly as it sounds it could be that the Comm Port number has changed (not the baud rate etc)

Good luck and keep us posted

14. phil from seattle

Builder

If that's the case you can also do a scan from GRBL-panel.

15. blindflight

blindflight Well-Known

Thank guys will try... As you can see there is no settings when "get grbl settings) ...
    I did add the "$$"
    upload_2017-11-20_10-47-55.png

16. phil from seattle

Builder

OK, first things, make sure the board is plugged into the PC, verify the board has power and then press rescan. If the board is working, you will see a com port in the drop down menu to the left of the connect button. If you don't see anything, unplug the grbl board, reboot your PC and plug the grbl board into a different USB port. Otherwise, try building/installing a new version of the GRBL via the instructions I posted. If the Arduino program can't find the board, it's very likely dead.
    grbl-panel.png

17. blindflight

blindflight Well-Known

Afternoon Phil,
    Here is the photo I should have included. Nothing is loaded in the settings like before . see pics. I get the Grbl settings run thru the window knowing its loaded. I can jog..Seems the settings are gone.
    . 20171119_154213 (Medium).jpg 20171119_154223 (Medium).jpg

18. NeoMorph

NeoMorph New
    Builder

Have you tried other GRBL control Programs... like Universal G-code Sender? That would be my next step. Whenever I have a problem like this I try alternatives to see if it flags up problems. I had a flipped limit switch which has going high when active instead of low (due to mixing micro switches with proximity ones). Couldn’t figure it out until I used UGS to confirm what was happening. It could be something as silly as a corrupted setting in GRBL Panel and using UGS would sort it out.

Oh... come to think of it, I had a problem where some of my settings vanished as well (lost setting $100 and higher)... turned out I was using the wrong grbl source code and none of my limits were showing up in G Panel. Not helpful in your case but it shows how there are numerous failure points that can be caused by corrupted settings. Just got to change one thing at a time.

So yeah... load up UGS (the latest version, not an old one like I did and then wondered why it wasn’t working) and see if you can get your board to pop out the settings.

19. hilam8899

hilam8899 New
    Builder

thank you!how I add Fourth Axis ?I want to do four axis CNC

20. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

You will need to read a bit more about the intent of Windows IoT on the Pi. While VS supports building apps for it, the intent is not a full gui as you would see on a desktop. Windows IoT on the Pi does exactly what is was intended to do, many people incorrectly assumed it would run Windows apps.
    There is more work than I want to expend to make GrblPanel a UWP app, esp since I no longer have a CNC machine.

21. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

any chance of continuous jog mode coming to GRBL panel?
    I was using Candle and love the jog mode but I could not get it to do G54 and G55 offsets properly so tried GRBLpanel. Works beautifully but I really miss the continuous jog.

22. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

Not sure what you mean by continuous jog. There is a setting to change keyboard repeat rate if that helps.

I have no plans for further updates. Unless I get a CNC machine of some sort it is difficult to do the enhancements needed for things such as 4th axis.

23. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hi
    I mean the new $J command (new in GRBL 1.1)
    Grbl v1.1 Jogging · gnea/grbl Wiki · GitHub
    This enables a continuous jog, usually until 'button up'. It is much easier to use for large positioning moves, and stops instantly rather than continuing until lthe keyboard buffer runs dry.

24. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

I am using $j for some time now. But I don't plan to mess with code to do the more involved implementation using Jog Cancel as described further down in that link.
    As I said, without an actual machine some of these items are very difficult to verify as operational.

25. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I found that if you play with the jog distance and your jog speed you can find a sweet spot where it will stop with "button up" mine was something like 5mm jogs with 6000mm/min.. but this is belts.. also you can change the button repeat rate in windows, makes a big difference.
    But i agree the continuous mode like used in Estlcam is nice

26. NeoMorph

NeoMorph New
    Builder

You can enable keyboard jogging. I use it all the time... even figured out how to get an MPG working with a Leo Bodnar keyboard interface and a gaming utility to trigger the jogging but I’ve got to fit it to my working machine as yet.

27. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

I have GRBL Panel V1.0.9.17 and CNC xPro board with GRBL 1.1. On my CNC engraving machine, the home position is supposed to be at left-front corner but GRBL Panel shows negative numbers below the large zeros instead of zeros. The "Current Machine Location" is blankHow can I fix the problem?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. phil from seattle

Builder

I believe that's from the underlying grbl. Read the "negative coordinates" section of the grbl wiki FAQ.

By the way, it looks like the grbl panel author is backing away from supporting it. Hopefully some one will pick up the torch -I rather like grbl panel.

David the swarfer likes this.
  29. Bruce Fenstermacher

Builder

I have a C-Beam. Running Grbl v.9 and GRBL Panel 1.0.9.13 Trying to create a macro that will always move the table forward, center the x and raise the z. I want it to go to this spot no matter what. I have limit switches and use homing.

I've tried this but it moves from the current position not from the home 0,0,0 position. G20 G00 X-5.5 Y0.0 Z0.5. This is probably because a G90 was issued sometime prior as I understand it. I tried issuing adding a G91 to the macro or G91 G20 G00 X-5.5 Y0.0 Z0.5 but the macro is not understood. How do I get the router and table to move from a known point (the home position) with a command such as G20 G00 X-5.5 Y0.0 Z0.5.

I'm just trying to figure out Gcode and how it all works so don't assume I know anything and please explain any help you can give.

Thanks

Bruce