Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Grbl Panel Control

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Mark Carew, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

doh.jpeg

I forgot about upgrading that.

GerritV likes this.
  2. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

Yes, but what version was it? It might be handy for me to know as there will be others using that. If it was 0.8x then yes, it won't work.

3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Sorry it took so long. I am using 0.9i.

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

This is weird. Today, everything was there. I can access all settings. I did not reinstall anything. So, disregard my question. It was obviously on my end somewhere. Thanks.

5. Bruce Fenstermacher

Builder

Using Sketchup, Sketchucam and Grbl Panel 1.4C. I set the feed rate in Sketchucam which then includes that in the g-code. Is there a way to override the feed rate in the g-code with a Grbl Panel setting?

I cut aluminum sheet and find a feed rate of 5" works well. But I like to do an air cut or precut a grove in my waste board so I can see where I need to place the material and of course eliminate the pressure of cutting the aluminum and the overcut at the same time. So I'd like to do this cut faster or over ride the 5" feed rate with something appropriately faster.

Thanks

Bruce

6. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

If you are using Grbl 1.1f then GrblPanel will show various overrides on RH side of its display. No overrides in 0.9x or early 1.x versions.

7. Bruce Fenstermacher

Builder

I'll have to check. (I'm not at home at the moment) Looking at the GUI picture at the start of the thread and assuming it is 1.1 and your talking about the right hand column where is says feed rate, spindle and tool. These are over rides of the g-gode then.

If I'm not on 1.1, I'll upgrade.

Thanks

8. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

With GrblPanel 1.0.9.13 and Grbl 1.1 it will look like this: grblpanel-11.PNG

9. Bruce Fenstermacher

Builder

Ok I was running 1.03 Just downloaded 1.09.13 which is the latest version available at the release link.

I know this is basic and asked many times but I haven't found my answer. Couldn't find any instructions at the github.com

How do I actually update the software after I've downloaded it and unzipped it? There is a config file but clicking it just asks me what application I want to use to run the config file. maybe something is not running as it should.

Thanks

Bruce

10. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

Install is unzipping the files into a directory, preferably overwriting your previous version. Using the same directory ensures that your custom config gets carried over (usually).
    I was thinking of an actual installer but it turned out to be too much work for the small benefit (there are a lot of scenarios to consider).

11. Bruce Fenstermacher

Builder

OK simple enough. To simple. Maybe a note (reminder) in a text file included in the zip that says 'copy unzipped files to your current program folder to update".

I've completed the update to 1.09.13, as I said, the latest I could find. It does have new features over the 1.03 version I was using but not the over ride features pictured in your post. Here is what I have:
    Capture.GIF

I don't know what you call custom configurations. I don't know if I had any other than I had .5" set instead of 1" as the max jog distance I could select. If this is a custom config, it did not carry over when I copied the new files into my old program folder.

Here is what I currently have in the program folder:
    Capture2.GIF
    Do I have any old out of date or excess files?

Thanks for all your help and work on Grbl Panel and also for your prompt responses. Mush appreciated.

Bruce

Attached Files:

12. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

If the override section isn't showing then you aren't using Grbl 1.1d or later.

If you change any of the items on Settings page there will be a user.config file placed in C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\GrblPanel subdirectory. There might be more than one, look for one that has 1.0.9.13 directory in it. I have no control over where these go, it is part of the .Net Settings magic.

13. Bruce Fenstermacher

Builder

I should read closer Grbl, 1.1 not Grbl Panel 1.1. :(

Guess I have to figure out where to get Grbl 1.1. Then I guess I load that into my controller correct? Or maybe load it someplace else? I'm using a xPro V2 wtih (Grbl 0.9)

I will look around for a user config file.

Thanks again.

Bruce

14. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I have to do the same thing. Now if only I could remember how to do it. I have been stalling since everything was running so well on 0.9j. Releases · gnea/grbl · GitHub

15. Bruce Fenstermacher

Builder

OK found the user.config file and your right there were 3. I erased all but the last.

The other question I had concerned where the Grbl Panel folder should be. It is not in the C:\Program Files folder as I might expect but still in the C:\Users\Bruce Fenstermacher\Desktop\CBeam Machine Control Software 10-6-2015\CBeam Machine Control Software\GRBL Panel\GrblPanel-Release-1.0.3.0 which is how I started. Perhaps I should clean that up. Is there a correct place for this Grbl Panel folder?

thanks
    Bruce

16. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

Since I am not using an installer it doesn't matter where the program resides, as long as you know where it is :)

17. Ray Regan

Ray Regan New
    Builder

Ya, I need help with this also.

18. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

I fail to see why people makes things so complex for themselves. There is a link on every release notice in my GitHub for the executables. You don't need to think about source code if you don't want to.
    Read Grbl Panel Control, it explains installation. I can't make is simpler.

19. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

yep, cannot be simpler, as a process.
    what you do need to do is make that info easier to find, ie, on the github wiki (-:
    I nearly did it last night, but it was late....

20. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

And yet the question is asked here, where the answer already exists. It was not asked at my GitHub repository?
    I admit I don't do well with hand holding :-(

21. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

I see it this way:
    NOT everybody who uses GRBLPanel comes here to find the install instructions.
    *everybody* who uses GRBLpanel goes to github to download it, so the install instructions should be there.

Yeah, I know, writing instructions sucks, and half the people never read them, but at least the half that do, don't ask the same old questions over and over again (-:

Keep in mind that default installs of Windows now fail to display the drive letters, so we have a whole generation of users arising who have no idea what a 'C:' drive is!

RTFM: Knowledge is power (-:

22. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Releases · gerritv/Grbl-Panel · GitHub

Download zip, extract all, open GrblPanel-Release-1.0.9.13 Folder after extracting, and then open the Application folder. To make a desktop shortcut, right-click the choose "create shortcut."
    grbl panel.png

The problem I always have is that my virus scanner removes the file immediately and then I have to restore it.

23. SP87

SP87 New
    Builder

GRBL panel is awesome !
    I have made a CNC TIG welding machine which I control by GRBL panel. Every thing works superbly, except at certain times when I start the arc using high frequency start.
    The error that I get is " Fatal error on write to GRBL. A device attached to the system is not functioning".

Only a few lines of G code are executed by the Arduino, it then has to be disconnected, GRBL panel has to be restarted, the USB unplugged & at times even the Arduino has to be reset & the PC restarted, to get everything working again.
    I have tried using a laptop as well as a PC connected to mains.

I am wondering if this is a noise related issue & how to fix it?
    Strange as it may sound, I have also noticed that as long as it rains , this problem does not occur. Is it an earthing issue?

I am running GRBL-Panel.sln in the GRBL- Panel-master folder using Microsoft Visual Studio. I had no idea GRBL panel could be run simply as an application by downloading the latest release from GitHub till I went through a few posts on this forum.

24. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

HF start messes with electronics because it generates RF noise (spark gaps were the original RF transceivers, after all). Full grounded shielding of the electronics is pretty much mandatory when it comes to TIG and plasma builds- if you run a desktop PC nearby, you should notice it be less affected, since it's all in a grounded metal box. Not sure what the rain thing is about, other than possible atmospheric humidity reducing the intensity of the arc/radio waves, since your ground contact should be about the same either way?

Have you written up the build here? I'd be interested to see it, especially the filler insertion and that whole system. I have a Square Wave 200 and some potential identical weldments in future...

25. SP87

SP87 New
    Builder

I should probably put all my electronics into a metallic enclosure for good shielding.

The filler wire insertion is actually easier than imagined. Simply buy the feeding units from amazon or aliexpress. Hook them up with DC motors or steppers. I generally prefer steppers. I used pushbuttons and pots to start / stop the filler & control the speed using a custom made program.There are loads of feeders out there to suit your requirement.
    If possible, I shall try to video shoot the filler being fed in the arc .

As of now , I have only a single axis of motion. I Plan to put an additional axis & a rotation axis.
    Will see how it goes with the shielded enclosure.
    Cheers & happy building !!!

#145 SP87, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  26. Garrett Groll

Builder

27. Garrett Groll

Builder

To be more specific, I'm wanting to slave the a-axis motor to the z-axis motor so that they are turning in the same direction at the same time.

28. Garrett Groll

Builder

2. Connecting CNC xPRO · Spark-Concepts/xPRO Wiki · GitHub
    I just found this page that answered my question, and I figured I would share it to help anyone in the future who might have a similar question about making one motor a slave to another motor with the xPro v3.
    Apparently, the A-motor is a slave to the Y-motor by default on the xPro v3. From what I understand, soldering is required if you wish to slave the A-motor to the X-motor or Z-motor.

lucascorato likes this.
  29. NeoMorph

NeoMorph New
    Builder

Sooo... I'm probably trying to bite off more than I can chew but I wanted my OX (with a Dewalt 262000 which is the 611 in the US) to cut acrylic without melting and gumming up my endmills and ruining my work,

Soooo.... I got myself a SuperPID v2 from the other side of the world (I'm in the UK and the guy who makes the SuperPID is in Australia).

I'm still working out the wiring of my system to include all the bits and bobs, and generally am not having a problem but the one thing I cannot figure out is where to grab the spindle run/stop from on the CNC Xpro v3 to tell the SuperPID to turn the power on and off. There is a separate line for the PWM speed control I was thinking I could check but then my forehead got slapped because it's going on and off, even though my multimeter says there is a voltage.

My final idea was to use spindle direction. Is that what I should use to tell my OX to turn on the spindle when it goes CW and off when it goes CCW (after all my Dewalt router only goes the one way). That is why I like this grbl panel over the other ones I've looked at. So M3 would turn the spindle on but m4 would turn the spindle off (instead of m5).

Am I missing something obvious?

Please be gentle... I'm a total noob and haven't even finished building my first CNC yet.

30. NeoMorph

NeoMorph New
    Builder

Oh god... I couldn't see the wood from the trees.

Was just playing around with the XPro when I realised I could probably enter a speed of 0 RPMs and could stop the motor that way... but no... the minimum speed the SuperPID will run at is 5000 rpm. I just can't figu.... errrr.....

Then it hit me... why the hell do I need the OX to turn the spindle on and off when a simple latching push button switch would do the job. I was just over complicating the system when KISS is the way to go. The program will still be able to change the speed as needed while the monkey can turn the spindle on and off at will, which is a good thing, as I don't want a glitch to turn the spindle on while I'm changing the bit. Sheesh.